It won't shut off!

[OBC]Patch

Seaman Apprentice
It used to shut off just fine, but now it just keeps running and I have to choke it out to stop it.:confused: Have I got a hung solenoid? Which one is it? Tell me it's one on top of the engine, and not on the impossibly difficult to reach starter?

Bt Doctur

Supreme Mariner
Re: It won't shut off!

Choking it tells me it`s not the starter turning so ,did you recently work on/replace the alt??

Bt Doctur

Supreme Mariner

get to the ign switch , red or orange is main power, purple is ign feed, yel/red is start
remove the purple ign wire ,if motor stops, replace switch.
If it dosent, go to the alt, and remove all the wires. if the motor stops you most likely have a bad diode backfeeding the ign system.

[OBC]Patch

Seaman Apprentice

I pulled each of the 3 ign switch wires, independantly and collectively, keeps running. I'm reading 16 volts charging, I know thats high and I'm pursuing that at Autozone where they check for free- but it still kept running with all the alt wires disconnected. It's down to the impossibly located starter solenoid, isn't it?

Don S

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

Remove the purple wire from the ignition switch. That should stop it.

Did you do any work on the starter? Like clean the terminals. See if the main battery cable terminal is touching the small outside terminal on the solenoid. That will keep power to it as long as the battery is turned on.

[OBC]Patch

Seaman Apprentice

Thanks for all your input Doc and Don, the ign switch tested out OK. Ill get into the starter solenoid for crossing contacts on my next day off. I just hope I dont have to pull a manifold to get to it.

[OBC]Patch

Seaman Apprentice

Fixed! Battery wire migrated to ignition terminal and was keeping the circuit hot! Thanks agian!