Is half-spun a possibility?

cymru

Seaman
At 3,000 revs my Honda 90 performs OK. When I raise the engine speed to 4,000 the boat starts to slow and "hunt". Is it possible that the prop is slipping at high speed, or is it an all or nothing deal?

Brewman61

Ensign
Re: Is half-spun a possibility?

One way to find out for sure is to mark the prop, near the hub, and the hub itself where the two marks are next to each other. Then go for a ride, and afterwards, if the marks moved, then your spun. If not, probably something else.

steelespike

Supreme Mariner

Usually its just plain spun.Might make it to 3000 and when it slips it won't stop till you slow.Sound kindof like a carb issue starving a little for fuel as it slows fuel catches up.Or maybe some wierd rev limiter failure.

cymru

Seaman

One way to find out for sure is to mark the prop, near the hub, and the hub itself where the two marks are next to each other. Then go for a ride, and afterwards, if the marks moved, then your spun. If not, probably something else.

Thanks. That?s a good suggestion, which I?ll try.

cymru

Seaman

Usually its just plain spun.Might make it to 3000 and when it slips it won't stop till you slow.Sound kindof like a carb issue starving a little for fuel as it slows fuel catches up.Or maybe some wierd rev limiter failure.

I had thought that it could be a carb issue also, as I?m getting a kind of spitting sound as I rev it in neutral. I?m going to pull the sparkplugs to see if there is any clue there.