intake manifold gasket question

b0mbtrack

Petty Officer 1st Class
some of these intake manifold gaskets you should put sealant on the water passages and some you aren't supposed to. how do you know which one you should put it on?

Fishermark

Vice Admiral
Re: intake manifold gasket question

Whatever set you buy will come with an instruction sheet - follow their directions.

Manipulator

Senior Chief Petty Officer

Some call for it some don't. If you are unsure I would probably use some but use it sparingly. You don't want to use too much and have it push out and block the passage when you tighten it down. Copper SPRAY-A-GASKET Hi Temp Adhesive Sealant (PERMATEX 80697) works great and won't plug anything up. I used it for years on boats and auto. Forms a then layer and won't block any passages.

SuperNova

Lieutenant

If it is a composite gasket, there may already be a sealant ring around the ports. The only gasket you should use sealer on is the old fashioned steel gasket. And even then just a light spray of the copper seal-a-gasket. Or a coat of spray paint will work just as well. None of the multi-layered composite gaskets need sealer and you can actually ruin them by using sealer.
--
Stan

b0mbtrack

Petty Officer 1st Class

my intake manifold gaskets are made by Fel-Pro or FIT, both names are written at the top of the directions. On the gaskets is a blue ring around each passage. The directions don't tell what to do with the intake manifold only what to do with the head gaskets that also came with the set. I'm just worried if i put on the RTV sealant around the water passages would it be a bad thing?

SuperNova

Lieutenant

Yes. it would be a bad thing. You shouldn't need any sealer with those gaskets other than at the seams where the heads meet the block and even then use very little. I would also use a bead of sealer on the manifold ends instead of the rubber or cork strips.
--
Stan

b0mbtrack

Petty Officer 1st Class

thank you!!!!!!! i would have put some on if you didn't tell me not to!!!!!!!