Impeller shaft locked. '95 Kawasaki Zxi

jimmythefed

Cadet
Hello all..<br /><br />Back in August, I noticed that my 1995 750 Zxi ski was turning very slowly to start (sometime only and 1/8 of a rotation of the shaft or less). Thinking it might be the battery, I charged it up and finally got it started. Two weeks later, same thing... Was beginning to think I got a bad battery.<br /><br />Anyway, I pulled it for the season, and flushed it with fresh water about a month ago (I do that religiously-- after EVERY ride-- and immediately). Last week, I try to start it to winterize, and same thing. Nothing worked to get it going... then I noticed that even when pulling the plugs to release compression, I wasn't able to turn the shaft even by sticking a screwdriver in the hole for leverage. The intake grate and everything in the pump look clean as new. Sprayed a little lube back by the impeller, and it did start to turn a little, so I'm guessing it's binding around the impeller area. Strange, because I can see a *very* thin line of light between the edge of the impeller and the housing and it's of pretty uniform thickness.<br /><br />I talked to the local Kawasaki repair guy and he said there is some sort of a bearing in front (well, behind if you're looking forward!) that corrodes and binds after a few years. Does this seem reasonable? If so, about how much is this gonna set me back? I've torn motors and such like apart, so I know which end of a screwdriver to hold. Is this a fairly easy job? Are the parts out-of-sight expensive? Any special Kawasaki tools necessary? Or is this a deal like, a $2.00 part goes bad, it is included with the whole $500.00 assembly, and you have to buy it that way.<br /><br />Any thoughts/advice much appreciated.<br /><br />Jim in Annapolis and Ocean City, Maryland

Jeff Walkowiak

Lieutenant Commander
Re: Impeller shaft locked. '95 Kawasaki Zxi

It is odd that you mentioned this problem, I am currently working on kawasaki pump problems as there seems to be a common problem with the pump corroding behind the ss liner and binding up the entire pump, the liners are not available, they are only 1mm thick and bulge under the corrosion. the only fix is to replace the entire pump, I am working on a rebuild process and have a company that will build the liner so I can remove the old one re surface the pump housing and replace the liner. As far as the berrings they use sealed berrings and if a berring is bad it will cavitate make a lot of noise and the impeller will rock back and forth in the pump. the berrings can be replaced . Usually though its the liner that is binding up . Place some motor oil in the liner between the impeller and the liner and see if it turns over faster if so you have a bad liner, We are also looking in to adding a corrosion barrier to the pump housing and a small zink block to eliminate this from happening after the pump is rebuilt,, our plan is to rebuild the customer's pump and ship it back to them for around 200 dollars,, the new pump is over 500 dollars, the other option is to find a used pump for around 250 dollars. I am meeting with the other person involved with this project today , we already have the liners set for production and I am working on the various jigs needed for pressing them in the pump, this may be off and running in a short time.

jimmythefed

Cadet

Jeff,<br /><br />That pretty much sounds like my problem as well. Also sounds like some pretty bad engineering on Kawasaki's part!<br /><br />I *DID* spray a little lubricant around the impeller, and it *DID* turn a little more freely, but not nearly enough to get it started. In fact it was still so tight, that I couldn't even get the shaft to turn by using a screwdriver in the hole in the shaft and trying it that way. (Even with the plugs removed to lessen the compression resistance of the engine!)I didn't want to tax the starter, as I know that's a big, expensive job to replace that puppy, so I quit after 5 or 6 times, when it became obvious that it was binding back at the pump.<br /><br />I guess the ss liner is too thin to hone, and even if that were possible, the corrosion behind it would cause it to continue swelling, and it's not really a fix.<br /><br />Your fix sounds like a good idea. I don't like the idea of having to spend big bucks for a new pump.. especially since I *REALLY* wanted a three seater three years ago when I bought this Zxi at a price I couldn't turn down. It was very well maintained by the guy who owned it before me (I know the history of this machine from day one.), and I have been obsessive with flushing and washing down with fresh water after every ride. (BTW, it's up on a "sport port", so it's never in the salt water for more than an hour or two, and then it's flushed and washed down immediately)Looking from the intake grate, it looks absolutely spotless in there, but from what you're saying, it sounds exactly like what I'm seeing.<br /><br />Other than this problem, this machine has served me well. (Well, actually, the trim motor crapped out awhile back, but I never really found that much use anyway.) I'm a casual rider, 30mph is about all I really like to go anyway!<br /><br />Thanks for your insight, and being the bearer of bad news... it's never easy is it?<br /><br />Jim in Annapolis and Ocean City, Maryland

Jeff Walkowiak

Lieutenant Commander

If you need to winterize the engine, remove the pump , then start the engine. Salt water use is usually the cause of the aluminum to build up corrosion under the liner, when the liner is removed you would be surprised how badly the corrosion builds it is as thick as the liner itself,

jimmythefed

Cadet

Jeff,<br />Thanks again for the reply. Yeah, I'll probably pull off the impeller and check it out... at least I'll be able to see whether it's the impeller binding (liner problem) or a seized bearing.<br /><br />Any special tool(s) needed?... like a special "Kawasaki-impeller-removal-tool". God, I hate that!! Guess that's what keeps shops in business though.<br /><br />Kinda curious about fitting zincs... is it an electrolysis issue, or just old fashioned salt water vs. aluminum?... aluminum being the loser here!<br /><br />Another dumb question: Why do they do it this way? Can't they get away from the liner idea and just make the pump stainless? Cost and weight perhaps.<br /><br />Would it be easier just to disconnect the drive shaft at the motor, or does it have to be done from the pump end? I'd rather not mess with the coupler at the motor if I don't have to.<br /><br />Jim.

Jeff Walkowiak

Lieutenant Commander

My memory tells me the pump pulls off from the back of the drive shaft, thats the easiest way to get the pump off to start the engine, If you pull the pump don't bother taking it apart if oil made the thing turn easier it will be the liner hitting the impeller and you will see it looking from the other side, there will be spots showing where the impeller was rubbing, the berrings usually never wear out. yamaha has the same problem and it cracks the pump liner housing usually. but those are not available without buying the entire housing any way. Hopefully we will be geared up soon to actually repair a persons pump and send it back with a new liner and all cleaned up plus a zink anode and a barrier to help reduce the corrosion. Why do they do it that way, they are in the parts business as well as the jet ski business, why kill the goose that lays the golden egg? It takes years to happen and it is not a warranty issue so its money in their pocket. sea doo has replacement liners but they are the only ones that I am aware of.

Trader4Less

Recruit

I had my prop freeze up on my Sea Doo GT and I had suspected that I had sucked up a rock. I turned the claim into my insurance company and they had my Jet Ski repaired. I had to pay the deductible but it was only $250...much less than the repair job!

Jeff Walkowiak

Lieutenant Commander

This is a common problem with kawasaki and yamaha, yamaha uses a 2 mm liner so the housing breaks apart rather than the liner deforming.kaw is 1 mm so it bulges up and hits the impeller, sea doo uses a plastic replaceable liner, cost is only about 40 bucks, and they use a totally different type of berring set up.

jimmythefed

Cadet

Well, Jeff... you certainly know what you're talking about. I pulled the pump this afternoon, and the liner is definitely pushed into and impeding the impeller in what does look to be corrosion between the aluminum pump housing and the stainless liner. Drats... anybody know where I can get a rebuilt or reasonably decent used pump at a *reasonable* price for a '95 Kawa 750 ZXi?

Jeff Walkowiak

Lieutenant Commander

hopefully I will be able to do rebuilds on the kaw pumps soon,Already working on all the details and tooling, Now its just a matter of start up costs and seeing if there is a big enough market for a person to be able to do this and not go broke. And the other situation is during the boating season I am usually overwhelmed with orders for steering, and do not get time to do anything else, now the season is over and things are slow so I really need to be carefull not to bite off more than I can chew. Since my steering is new it gets crazy when a group like the yamaha jetboaters learn what it does ,they all go ordering it at once. Now that I have it for mercury boats and a lot of boat manufacturers use mercury jet drives I will most likely end up getting hit as soon as people start posting how they liked it. I am working on having all that manufactured for me soon , hopefully any way . But the pump situation seems like a real looser for the person who owns the kawasaki with a bad pump, Buy A new pump for any where from 500 to 800 or find a good used one for 250 to 350. in any event you can try www.jetkingparts.com and see if he has any good used pumps available. Or you can wait a while and see if we get the pump rebuilding caper off and running.

Jeff Walkowiak

Lieutenant Commander

I checked with the parts guy and he dosent have any pumps, however he is the person who is doing the rebuild with me and we should be getting the liners from the machine shop real soon so we will be able to do your pump, if the machine shop guy dosen't drag his feet.

Jeff Walkowiak

Lieutenant Commander

keep in mind when looking for a pump that this is a common problem and therefore a good used pump brings top dollar,plus on a used one its a gamble, could end up with the same problem soon. I was informed that the corrosion gets bad when the ski is not in use, so a pump that worked a year ago sitting on a shelf could be bad just from sitting around.

Jeff Walkowiak

Lieutenant Commander

better late than never// the machine shop finally delivered our first pump liner today, worked out nice. I decided to use 5200 and put a thin coat on the pump housing before pressing in the liner so as to reduce any corrosion forming from the two metals being in contact with each other as that is the cause of the problem in the first place. actually it all went together pertty nicely. sure beats buying a new pump.

jam1ej20

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Jeff, any follow-up with this venture? I have a 1995 ZXI 750 and my pump is frozen. This happened a few years ago and I was able to sand everything down to the point it would run again. However when I went to winterize this weekend, I found the pump is frozen again. This time the wear ring has bulged more than I can hone down and I need a new fix.

I see that I can buy a new wear ring on Ebay now for about $70. How hard is it to get the old one out? What is your suggestion for repairing this?

I just can't see buying a used one and potentially having the same problem.

Any advise is appreciated.