If parts are discontinued what should I do???

Dave-115hp-1970-115083

Seaman Apprentice
I am working on a 115hp 1970 Evinrude motor which has two parts missing: a ignition safety switch, which protects the pulse pack ($350) from overload and a thermo switch assembly, which controls choke.

The previous owner bypassed them and I want to know if I should just hook it up the same as before?

Does the new pulse pack, I purchased, contain the ignition safety switch inside???

(Pulse Pack 18-5748, Replaces OMC 398362)

note: I have purchased a new pulse pack, coil, and stator in order to resolve a no-spark issue.

Thanks you for your help, Dave

WillyBWright

Fleet Admiral
Re: If parts are discontinued what should I do???

Bypassing that half-choke thermoswitch is common and necessary. The automatic half-choke floods them badly. Keep the choke fully manual.

I'm not sure about that overload feature you're referring to. There was something called a Clipper which is basically a voltage regulator for the ignition system. If you have it and it works, keep it. If not, don't worry about it. The newer amps don't really need it as bad. Make certain you have a good battery with very clean and very tight connections. Corroded and/or loose battery connections fry amps.