Ideal cylinder head temp range force 50 hp

kalebsheridan

Petty Officer 1st Class
Hello again everyone,
So I just ordered a Faria temp gauge with the flat style cylinder head sender. My plan was to bolt it to the cylinder head so I can watch the temps to avoid overheating. What would be an ideal cylinder head temperature range to watch out for? Particularly the ideal operating temperature and actual overheating threshold? My motor is an 88 50hp.

Jiggz

Captain
Typically, the thermostat for these Force engines is set at 130-~145 degrees while a few are at 130 degrees (usually 10~50 hp). The temp switch for the overheating alarm is set to 180~200 F. Which means the operating temp is around 145~160 degrees. Why not up to 180F?, well that is the set point of the high temp alarm indicating it is already overheating.

kalebsheridan

Petty Officer 1st Class
Great thank you for the info! Does anyone have experience with this surface contact style senders? How accurate are they? I would have gone with the plug style, but like many I have used the top water jacket plug to make a tell tale.

jerryjerry05

Supreme Mariner
Just modify the setup you have?
Include a car/ motorcycle horn in the system.
Once the temp gets hot the horn sounds off instead of the tiny buzzer already in the system.

kalebsheridan

Petty Officer 1st Class
Just modify the setup you have?
Include a car/ motorcycle horn in the system.
Once the temp gets hot the horn sounds off instead of the tiny buzzer already in the system.
Oh sorry I didn't mention my motor doesn't have a buzzer. It may have a buzzer wire, but no buzzer. Not a bad idea though. I think I would like to know before it crosses that threshold however. Unless the temperature that sets off the buzzer isnt too hot to damage the motor?

Jiggz

Captain
Great thank you for the info! Does anyone have experience with this surface contact style senders? How accurate are they? I would have gone with the plug style, but like many I have used the top water jacket plug to make a tell tale.
Can you post a pic of that type of sender.

Jiggz

Captain
Looks like a good thing to have to monitor engine temp. I did install a water pressure gauge on the top of that t-stat housing and seems to be working perfectly. I do not have the tell tale instead what I see is water pressure ensuring the impeller is doing its job. Let us know how it goes with this sender. Goodluck.

kalebsheridan

Petty Officer 1st Class
Yeah I'm certainly being a bit neurotic about it but I'm a new boater and I don't want to worry about my motor overheating without knowing after it's too late. A pressure gauge seems like a better idea than a tell tale honestly, especially since you have to look back to see the tell tale it working. I'll update the thread when I install it in a couple weeks.

Scott Danforth

Grumpy Vintage Moderator still playing with boats
Staff member
Water pressure is a better indicator of issues than a temp gauge.

If water pressure goes low, or to zero, you will see it on the gauge long before the temp gauge would move

Jiggz

Captain
One disadvantage of the water pressure gauge is if you use your boat on salt water. That 1/8" tubing just gets clogged up with salt build up. I have to flush mine after the season using air and fresh water to de-clog it. However, if you just use your boat on fresh water like lake, it's perfect.

Scott Danforth

Grumpy Vintage Moderator still playing with boats
Staff member
One disadvantage of the water pressure gauge is if you use your boat on salt water. That 1/8" tubing just gets clogged up with salt build up.
Haven't ever had that problem since 2008

kalebsheridan

Petty Officer 1st Class
Took the boat out today and the gauge worked great. My motor hovered between 110 and 135 the whole time. Still needs some finer tuning on the motor performance side of things but I'm happy I don't have to wonder if my motor is burning up a piston while I cruise to the fishing grounds.