I pulled the Trigger and Frist day Boating Antics

jjc917

Cadet
Well I did it...I bought a 1983 Kayot deckboat...its a monster. Has a 260 hp inboard. Deck might need to be replaced, need to rewire stereo, lights (may just need bulbs), wife is going to redo seats and benches this winter, have to fix gas guage....

Trailer; frickin winch cable snapped first day out, thank god for safety chain and straps

Questions;

Do I need a bilge pump? it has a switch for one but doesnt run.

Steering is tight but it looks like it has a pump, I thought older had the cable type.

Boat is 2700 net and trailer has 2 wheels on each side with surge breaks...how do you hook those up or can I leave them "off"

I want to replace winch but with trailer and boat I think thats about 5000 lb and want to use the nylon strap type winch, is that sufficient.

jjc917

Cadet
Re: I pulled the Trigger and Frist day Boating Antics

Also;

When going up a steep grade do 30 egrees or moe do you put it in 4 wheel, and on the highway do you take off the overdrive?

redone4x4

Lieutenant Commander
Re: I pulled the Trigger and Frist day Boating Antics

you need a bilge pump. dont take the boat out unless it has one in it. If the trailer has brakes, you will want to use them. Its mandatory in most states over x amount of pounds anyways.

yes, when towing leave the overdrive off, i never put in 4 wheel drive when towing, unless im pulling the boat out of the water and then its just an extra measure, not required. If you are replacing the winch, get one with the strap on it, and might as well get a 2 speed while you're at it for a few bucks more.