I am trying to find out the weight of a 21 Ft. 1994 sun tracker trailer vin 4tm12cj1xsb001573 to register it. I can't find the specifications for it.

TB Squiorrel

Recruit
I am trying to find out the weight of a 21 Ft. 1994 sun tracker trailer vin 4tm12cj1xsb001573 to register it. I can't find the specifications for it.

Drcoffee

Petty Officer 1st Class
The trailers are given categories not a specific weight.
light duty 2000#
moderate duty 3,500#
versitile 3,500-6,000
heavy duty. 10,000-12,000

Id guess you would be in the 3,500# camp like me with a 21’ boat

Scott Danforth

Grumpy Vintage Moderator still playing with boats
Staff member
if you need the weight of the trailer to register it in various states

you have 2 choices
  • call tracker marine with the VIN and get an official letter mailed to you stating the weight of that particular trailer VIN (may take a few days)
  • take your empty trailer to a certified scale and get a certified receipt with the weight (is a pain in the but because you have to put the boat in the water)

I know for example, Florida wont use the rough weight of 1200# for a tandem axle trailer. they needed the letter from Shoreland'r referencing the specific shipping weight of my trailer VIN

for my last trailer, I bought a used florida trailer with a florida title

ahicks

Captain
My bet is if you don't have the trailer paperwork (title or registration) showing the trailer weight, you're going to need a weight slip from somebody with certified scales to get it registered. Makes no difference if you THINK you know the weight or not.

Dan Nowlin

Recruit
I got my boat trailer weighed at a truck stop using the CAT Scales. Only cost like $12.50

Lou C

Supreme Mariner
I figured out a way to get an approx weight on mine carefully using a Sherline scale with a 0-5,000 meter.
See my post in this forum. I found that I had approx 4650 lbs on the axle (single axle hubs/brakes 6,000 lb capacity, springs 5,700 lbs capacity, load range D tires 5040 lb capacity) & 410 lbs on the tongue.
Based on these weights I would go to a load range E tire next time I get tires. That will give me around 500 lbs reserve capacity for each tire. Without weighing it you will never know if you are overloaded which explains partly why there are so many trailer tire failures and relatively few on tow vehicles. Your truck is set up with 20-30 % safety margin for the tire capacity whereas trailers are often at 10% or less or overloaded. But because there is no legal requirement that boat companies provide accurate weights as their is with vehicles you may never know unless you find out yourself and it should not be that way. Tires being overloaded or marginal was fairly common on vehicles 50-60 years ago in fact Consumer Reports used to publish tire reserve capacity as part of their road tests. Boat trailers and RVs are still stuck in the dark ages of accountability as far as I am concerned, and BTW there is not ONE Cat scale on all of the 110 miles of Long Island that includes all of NYC. Very difficult to find a weigh scale here.

Last edited:

racerone

Supreme Mariner
Are we talking the weight of the trailer or the load capacity of said trailer ?