Hull repair help needed

toy4x4

Seaman Apprentice
I need some help with patching a busted hull. Any advise is much appreciated. :D
P1050140_small.jpg

I was worried that the patch job done by the previous owner wasn't holding up... and scared as to what damage was lurking underneath. Not sure what they used to patch it. Probably an off the shelf bondo / quick fix junk? :confused:
P1050144_small.jpg

This scrape damage / repair attempt runs further down the chine line. :(
P1050147_small.jpg

Getting inside below deck is too tight for my likings. but here is a pic of what the inside of hull looks like. There is a nice flat piece of roven covering the V shaped chine line. Could suffice for a backing material for recreating the v shape with filler material? :confused:
P1050278_small.jpg

toy4x4

Seaman Apprentice
Re: Hull repair help needed

Ok so I took the liberty to grind away at the scary patch work. Here is what I have now.
P1050384_small.jpg P1050395_small.jpg P1050396_small.jpg P1050397_small.jpg

P1050409_small.jpg

toy4x4

Seaman Apprentice

A few more...
P1050416_small.jpg P1050417_small.jpg

The 2nd lay of glass seems to have never mated with the outer most layer of glass along this chime line... Leaving a hollow area under the outer layer causing a week place all along the chine. :eek:

tpenfield

Staff member

The pic from inside the hull sort of looks like the damage/crack penetrated the hull . . . is that correct? A famous ship sunk 100 years ago due to similar damage, you know ;)

The repair looks like it will involve adding material to both the outside (to re-build the strake) and to the inside (to re-gain the hull integrity).

robert graham

Admiral

Any fiberglass hull repair shops in your area?...This doesn't look like the type of weekend, do-it-yourself job that I would want to tackle. Might be worth spending a few dollars to have it repaired with the correct materials and expertise. Hopefully some of the fiberglass/hull experts on here may be able to offer you some DIY solutions, if you prefer to go that direction. Good Luck!:)

Woodonglass

Supreme Mariner

How's the deck/sole of the boat? Any soft spots? IMHO to repair this correctly you need to gain access the the inside of the hull and lay resin and glass. Once this is done you will do the same on the outside. Can you do it from the outside only??? Yes, Will it be strong and last? Possibly. To be sure it's as stong as before it needs to be and inside/out repair. Plenty of examples here on the forum of these types of repairs. If you check at the bottom of your post you will see links to several threads similar to yours. Good place to start researching this.

toy4x4

Seaman Apprentice

The pic from inside the hull sort of looks like the damage/crack penetrated the hull . . . is that correct? A famous ship sunk 100 years ago due to similar damage, you know ;)

The repair looks like it will involve adding material to both the outside (to re-build the strake) and to the inside (to re-gain the hull integrity).

No not that I can see I don't think the damage penetrated through the hull anywhere. Some better pics from inside might help... I have drawn an arrow where I estimate the damage is on the outside.
P1050278_small_edited.jpg P1050281_small_edited.jpg P1050282_small.jpg

Also keep in mind that the V shaped Chine is hidden under a lay of fiber see below:

P1050269_small Edited.jpg Hull drawing.jpg

toy4x4

Seaman Apprentice

I kinda came up with a game plan after reading through a couple of Keel Repairs done here recently... Let me know if I am totally off given my scenario...

First I should grind down the entire V shape tell it is flat with the rest of the hull and remove the gelcoat 4"-5" around the area
Hull drawing.jpg Hull drawing 2.jpg

Then I should Recreate the V chine with Filler. Applying the filler against the inner most layer of Woven that was bridged across the V chine on the inside of the boat. ( See post above for picture of this on inside of boat)
Hull drawing 3.jpg

Now Add layers of Glass Over top of this filler.

Hull drawing 4.jpg

Woodonglass

Supreme Mariner

I'm NOT a pro but... I would not advise grinding of the chine. IMHO not necessary. I do think that the damage I see appears to be from a significant impat to the area. Is there any softness in that area? Can you push up on it and get flexing in the hull? The WHITE area on the inside of the hull in the glass could indicate delamination due to impact. If there is flexing and softeness then again, I feel inside/out repair is required. If no flexing and no softness then a basic fill with Thickened structural resin, reshaping of the area, and reglassing as your diagrams illustrate would get you back on the water in a safe manner.

Again, not a pro, just my 2? worth!!!

toy4x4

Seaman Apprentice

No the hull is still rigid... I do have some minor flexing along the chine where the damage is... So what is recommended for a structural grade filler? Can I use this 3m marine high strength repair filler? It is vinylester based... If I use this will polyester resin and glass work over top? Or do you recommend I go vinylester resin and glass? And if I go vinylester resin with glass will gel coat bond to the vinylester? Sorry for all the ?'s... I have read through a bunch helpful threads here but didn't see much on vinlyester. I am new to glassing and I want to keep it simple and would prefer an off-the-shelf filler. If there is a better one available I am open for suggestions. Also I will be working vertically so I need something thick that will stay in place.

oops!

Supreme Mariner

i would just use a structural thickened resin.

25% resin
30% 1/4 inch short strand
45 % milled fibers...(powder)

catylize the un waxed resin first at 1.5%. then mix in the fillers to the catylized resin....mix well.

spread the filler into the prepped and cleaned area..

make sure to gish the filler into the exposed area.....really push it into the hole.
use the thick filler to make the shape of the chine or strake.

glass the wet layer with 2 layers of 1.5 csm.

let partially cure untill most of the heat is gone form the theromlitic reaction.

glass with another 2 layers of csm. each layer lagrer than the last.

let go to full cure.......

sand and fair.......apply gellcoat sand , fair, polish.

this is a standard repair and can be done in 4 hours including cure times.

cheers
oops

toy4x4

Seaman Apprentice

Thanks oops, I appreciate the advise I will probably go this route... However the 3m marine filler / vinylester thing has got my hampster wheels turning and I am curious now would polyester work on top?

mxcobra

Chief Petty Officer

here is the place to get ur stuff u need- dont use bondo.... poly will do just find
http://uscomposites.com/index.html
use oops formula, it will be as thick or thin as you make it!
- I have been it works great make sure u prep real ggod and clean the area very well with acatone....
my guess is under that layer inside the hul is a piece of wood or somthing filling the voide in the chime..

oops!

Supreme Mariner

forget the 3m stuff.....make your own......the mix i gave you is tested to be the hardest filler you can make ...

i will put that stuff against any on the market filler anywhere.

no need to go ve resin....

standard unwaxed poly will do......

i have done about 50 of those exact repairs.....never had one come back.....i have also seen those boats long after the repair....no cracking....no problems what so ever

74bayliner

Chief Petty Officer

oops is right his method of "peanut butter" i believe they like to call it is proven... multiple people throughout the forums have used it with great results as have i patching some holes . :) good luck

toy4x4

Seaman Apprentice

Thanks everyone I ordered the materials and stuff I will need today... Hope I didn't forget anything Its so much stuff to think about when you have never done any of this before. I am a big DIY person but I wouldn't be able to pull this off with out all the insight from you folks. Thanks again. I will try to take some more pics and post my progress / results.

Is this process being used to patch upside down? Meaning you are patching the boat from the outside and the boat is unable to be flipped over. Thanks, I have a simular patch I need to do.

toy4x4

Seaman Apprentice

Is this process being used to patch upside down? Meaning you are patching the boat from the outside and the boat is unable to be flipped over. Thanks, I have a simular patch I need to do.

I will be working partialy upside down as the boat is trailered and to big to lift or flip. My damage is on the lower side of the hull above the keel along the chine line.

john-88

Cadet

good luck bud, i wish i could help but im a newbie in this, its good we have people like opps that we can learn from =)

toy4x4

Seaman Apprentice

Ok been forever but been busy with other things. Here are some shots of what I have uncovered while sanding...
P1060225.jpg P1060226.jpg

Looks like there was more damage than I thought. I think someone rammed a log or landed on a island while running wide open or something. Who knows but it'll buff out right? :eek: