Hull repair for new guy

bam870

Cadet
What do you guys think my best option is with this and how hard of a repair is it for someone that has never done fiberglass repair?DSC_0611.JPG

Attachments

• DSC_0612.JPG
    DSC_0612.JPG
    39.5 KB · Views: 0

Woodonglass

Supreme Mariner
Re: Hull repair for new guy

Welcome to iBoats!!!

You're gunna be able to do this...NO PROBLEM!!!
Go to your local AutoZone a get a Fiberglass repair kit. It will have resin, hardener, and some mat. Use a random orbit sander with some 60 grit paper and sand away all that wrinkled up looking material. Sand it down all the way till you get to nice clean fiberglass. Looks like you'll end up with about a foot long area. Take the mat in the kit and cut about 6 pieces firs one that fits the area exactly then the next about an inch smaller all the way around the next an inch smaller than that and so on. Now mix up about 4 oz of resin using the ratio or hardner stated on the can. Now paint the area with resin and place the smallest patch centered in the area and saturate it with resin then the next and the next so on. In 30 mins it will be hard enough to sand smooth. You can then use filler to fair and then either paint or use gelcoat to color. If you have further question. Just post em and we'll be here to help. Post more pics if you need to.

Wingedwheel

Lieutenant Junior Grade

There are tons of great threads in the repair/restore area. I redid my whole hull and stringers just learning from this site and the wealth of knowledge contained here. If you have a question, someone generally knows the answer and will help you out. Just read up on the subject, start your own thread with pics and progress reports and if you get stumped, someone will set you on the right track. I'm just speaking from my experience, but its been a good one.

Yacht Dr.

Vice Admiral

What do you guys think my best option is with this and how hard of a repair is it for someone that has never done fiberglass repair?View attachment 89051

Welcome to Iboats..

What is it that im looking at ? ..

Looks like some kind of metal that that is inserted into a negative radi .. ( looks like someone screwed something thin into a crack of some kind ).

Please post a pic that we can blow up and look at..

Again.. What is it that We are looking at ..

YD.

Woodonglass

Supreme Mariner

WOW Doc My eyes must be going bad!!! I see a gouged keel that looks to have had a previously bad repair. Metal??? Screw??? Not sure I see that!!!!! Mebee ??, guess the OP will fill us in:eek:

bam870

Cadet

Thanks for all the advice I will definitely give it a shot. Oh for those that couldn't see it well, it is a crack in a fiberglass keel. There is no screw or anything in it but it does look like the previous owner tried to do a crappy cover up on it. Again I appreciate the advice and encouragement.

Cadwelder

Lieutenant Commander

WOW Doc My eyes must be going bad!!! I see a gouged keel that looks to have had a previously bad repair. Metal??? Screw??? Not sure I see that!!!!! Mebee ??, guess the OP will fill us in:eek:

Gotta say...I don't see anything but a typical bad repair in need of a good repair.

jonesg

Admiral

So much for just use marinetex and paint it, its either that or some sort of bondo.

Woodonglass

Supreme Mariner

jonesq,

While I agree that MarineTex is a great product for repairing small gouges, I do not believe it would be appropriate for this big of a repair. If you look closely there is a lot of glass that is going to need to be sanded away and replaced/repaired. I suppose you could use Bondo Hair and it states that it is water proof but I believe laying mat and new resin will make it much more permanent and stronger and it is not that much harder to do in the overall scheme of things.

Yacht Dr.

Vice Admiral

Whoopsies..

Thats what happens when you quick glance at things .. I saw the shadow and my eyes blurred the pic somehow.

Your going to need to get rid of all of the broken dead gel and glass..so start there and put some pics up again :) .

Sorry bout that ..

YD.