How would you fix this? Railing seperated from boat (pic included)

danfinn

Seaman Apprentice
Hello. First post here, hopefully I'm putting this in the right section.

I recently picked up this used 1994 Monterey 19.2 Sur. The railing has come unattached on 2 of the mounting points. What I can't figure out is how this mounting system was ever supposed to work to begin with. They appear to use a bolt that goes down into the fiberglass and all that's sticking up is a 1/2" nub. It looks like a previous owner had tried to repair it with some JB weld putty stick type stuff and it didn't hold.

I went over to West Marine yesterday to pick up some of there brackets and it doesn't look like any of these will work because the mounting surfaces are not flat.

So far, the best thing I can come up with in my head is to drill down into the bolt, tap it for a machine screw and then drill a hole through the railing tubing to bolt it down. Is there a better way to fix this?

broken_railing.JPG

Thanks,
Dan

IVAZ

Master Chief Petty Officer
Re: How would you fix this? Railing seperated from boat (pic included)

Welcome to iboats.
On a previous boat I had the same thing happened on a railing. To fix it I welded a stud back on the railing and just bolted it back on. All this was done after I removed the old piece of threads from the boat.
BTW, the landscape in your picture looks beautiful.

bekosh

Lieutenant

I believe that the rail should be welded to the plate. Then the bolt acts as a stud with a nut on the inside of the boat.

The fix is take it to a local metal working shop and have it welded. Should be pretty cheap to get done.

danfinn

Seaman Apprentice

Welcome to iboats.
On a previous boat I had the same thing happened on a railing. To fix it I welded a stud back on the railing and just bolted it back on. All this was done after I removed the old piece of threads from the boat.
BTW, the landscape in your picture looks beautiful.

Thanks IVAZ, that's the Wasatch mountain range in Utah.

I'm OK with basic tools but don't have any welding skills or the tools to do that. Maybe I'll start calling around to see who could help me.

danfinn

Seaman Apprentice

I believe that the rail should be welded to the plate. Then the bolt acts as a stud with a nut on the inside of the boat.

I'm not sure what you mean by plate. All the other posts appear to be attached in the same way this one was, there's no plate in use on the other posts as far as I can tell.

bekosh

Lieutenant

I thought that, in your pic, it looked like a metal plate with a bolt thru it that the post would be welded to. That is the way my bow rail is. If yours is different, then I'm sorry, can't help ya.:redface:

EDIT: Here is a pic of my bow rail. If you can make it out, there is a metal disk at the base that the post is welded to. On the inside, there is a stud with a washer & nut securing to the hull. That is what I thought I saw in your pic.

Attachments

• temp2.jpg
    temp2.jpg
    18.8 KB · Views: 0
Last edited:

danfinn

Seaman Apprentice

I thought that, in your pic, it looked like a metal plate with a bolt thru it that the post would be welded to. That is the way my bow rail is. If yours is different, then I'm sorry, can't help ya.:redface:

Nope, all that is there is the a nub from the bolt sticking out, no plate. This is what had me confused about how this was held together to begin with. I don't see any broken welds.

bekosh

Lieutenant

Oops. We were cross posting there. See my getto-edit above.

danfinn

Seaman Apprentice

Oops. We were cross posting there. See my getto-edit above.

gotcha. it would make a whole lot more sense if my boat had something like that but as far as I can tell, for the posts that are still attached, there is nothing like that. thanks for the pic to clarify.

Capt'n Chris

Chief Petty Officer

There was most likely a threaded plug in the end of the tubing welded into place. The plug has pulled out. You probably will not find a a stanchion that will be correct.

danfinn

Seaman Apprentice

There was most likely a threaded plug in the end of the tubing welded into place. The plug has pulled out. You probably will not find a a stanchion that will be correct.

The "bolt" that is left in place that goes into the fiberglass has literally just a rounded nub on the end that sticks up about 1/2" - 1". No threads. If I'm understanding what you're saying correctly the nub that is sticking out would be threaded in your example, right?

The other end of the bolt that goes into the fiberglass sticks out just barely inside the cabin and has a nut on it.

Fl_Richard

Lieutenant

Take it to a stainless steel welder. He can fix it. Doesnt matter what you have. The solution is to weld a new bolt into the bottom of the tube and re-install it into the deck.

$30.00 fix - My welder works for Crown Royal :)

Utahboatnut

Senior Chief Petty Officer

I would bet any decent welder who works with stainless could fix you up there are a bunch in the book. I was going to suggest a guy that is out your way but he has retired since he did a bunch of work for me :( I grew up in Sandy we moved out there when it was the sticks it was amazing to watch it grow into what it is now. At that time highland drive ended at creek road and 8600 so. ended at 1700 east, no Falcon park, no Smiths on 90th it was a great place to grow up.

danfinn

Seaman Apprentice

I would bet any decent welder who works with stainless could fix you up there are a bunch in the book. I was going to suggest a guy that is out your way but he has retired since he did a bunch of work for me :( I grew up in Sandy we moved out there when it was the sticks it was amazing to watch it grow into what it is now. At that time highland drive ended at creek road and 8600 so. ended at 1700 east, no Falcon park, no Smiths on 90th it was a great place to grow up.

I'm not from the area but I hear similar stories from my girlfriend. It must have been crazy to watch it expand so quickly. When her family moved out to Wasatch just south of LCC they were one of the furthest houses that far south and also one of the highest on the bench. Not anymore :)

I've looked up a couple of welders and I'll be taking it around on Friday to get it repaired, hopefully it's as cheap as you guys have suggested.