How to replace a clutch in a 2.3 hp Honda outboard.

Scott Danforth

Grumpy Vintage Moderator still playing with boats
Staff member
There is no clutch like you are thinking

If the dog clutches are bad, you need a new lower unit

Wboyd1962

Recruit
I got a very good deal on this motor, I believe it's a 2012 2.3 hp Honda . Changed oil and lower unit fluid . Runs flawlessly , out of the water . Prop stops as soon as it hits the water. If I knew what was wrong with her I'm sure I can get the parts and replace them but I've never worked on one before. Thanks.

matt167

Captain
The BF 2.3 basically uses a weed whacker clutch. Very similar to the Hangkai 3.5 water cooled motors. You need to pull the power head off I think to get to the clutch. The Honda 2.3 does not have great reviews

MattFL

Master Chief Petty Officer
I bought one of those for my brother and liked it a lot, it's super light and worked well. As mentioned above, it's like a weed whacker, you have to give it gas to make the prop spin, it shouldn't spin with any force at idle. That said, first check the prop to be sure the hub isn't slipping. That's the easiest thing to check. If the hub isn't slipping, then maybe it's the clutch. The service manual would be best, but here's a video that might help, maybe there are better ones if you search: