How to release upper gearshift rod?

nelsonk11

Seaman Apprentice
I have an '90 200hp Johnson. I need to replace the waterpump impeller. Clymer's manual does not well describe how to release the upper end of the shift rod so I can drop the gearcase down. I see a small bracket with a grease fitting on one end and a slotted screw on the other and a hex bolt in the middle. Is this the part to disassemble--if so the hex or slotted bolt? The appears to be no easy way to reach the hex bolt without removing the carbs. I have to believe there is an easier way. Is there a special tool?<br />Regards

OBJ

Supreme Mariner
Re: How to release upper gearshift rod?

Look on the port side of the engine below the bottom carb.....may take some doing. You will see the shift lever...triangular in shape..with the end of the shift rod in it. You will see a hex head bolt there holding the shift rod in place. Use a quarter inch drive socket with a uninversal joint on it and a long extension. You can remove the pin bolt with that. Put a piece of masking tape in the socket to hold on to the pin bolt once it's removed and also to reinstall. Piece of cake..... :)

rmpray

Recruit
Re: How to release upper gearshift rod?

I'll add a thanks to both of you. Just split the shift arm on my 77 85HP (starbosrd side for this old beast, but principal the same). The arm pinned into the shift rod and once the arm was unbolted and split, the pin slides out and the rod is free. I've been stairing at the book for a while to no avail (book gave no instruction and showed diferent set up). THe lower unit is ready to drop. Now the work begins!