How to change a impeller

dpbj6

Cadet
I have a 89 omc cobra i was wondering how you know you should change the impeller. And i any one knows how to do it. Thanks for all you help.

lenny2113

Petty Officer 1st Class
Re: How to change a impeller

Your water temp gauge is showing 180-190 it may be indication your impeller is going bad. That is assuming thet the problem is not associated with exhaust riser and/or manifold. <br />I would say, if I were you I would change impeller every 2 years. I change mine every seasion. Overkill, maybe. At least I know it is not going to catch up to me in the middle of season. Get a manual before you start performing any kind of engine work.

schwahn

Cadet
Re: How to change a impeller

I have an 88 OMC 3.0L Cobra and I just dealt with this issue last summer. This was a relatively easy task to complete<br /><br />You will first need remove the cover on the lower unit (that would be item 47 from my manual, they list it as the water pump) which requires removing three bolts (two on the top, on one the bottom). From there I believe there are some more screws that hold down a screen, remove the screen and then you can remove the impeller, be sure to remove chunks of the rubber impeller too. Your job is not done yet, I would STRONGLY suggest that you get a thermostat gasket and remove the thermostat and check for pieces of your impeller that got caught in the thermostat area and associated hoses (even after I replaced the impeller my water temp was still way high due to the fact that most of the impeller was ground up and found it's way into the cooling hoses).<br /><br />Disclaimer: I am not a mechanic but I have preformed this task once before. I would do a search on this forum (which by the way, it GREAT, as I just joined today) to see if anyone else has better instructions or some other helpful hints