how to build bow wood section without old piece.i need ideas, thanks

jjacobs007

Lieutenant
hi i am trying to figure out how to build the wood section on the bow area where its straight in the back curving inward as it reaches the bow,like a triangle.whats the best way to measure this without the old piece,any help would be great.2145.jpgthe front sitting area of boat, where wood will cover is the area ok.

geeco1

Petty Officer 1st Class
Re: how to build bow wood section without old piece.i need ideas, thanks

I assume that you are having problems figuring out the curves??? Correct??? Here is what I did and it seemed to work well.

1.) Find the center line of the aft portion of the bow (where the straight part would be.
2.) Stretch a string from the tip of the bow, to the center line found in step #1. This string should be at the height of your bow deck (basically right on top of your aluminum supports shown in you picture. You may be able to use a straight piece of wood or something instead of a string. The main thing is to just establish a reference line that you can measure from.
3.) Mark the string in 6 inch increments.
4.) At each 6 inch mark, measure the distance to each side wall. Use a framing square to ensure that you are measuring at right angles. Again, this must be done at the same level that your deck will be at. Your boat gets wider as you go up.
5.) Transfer these measurements to you plywood.
6.) You should now have several set of points to which you can freehand and arc that should be close enough to fit into your bow. Keep in mind that if you are off just a bit, that it will be covered by carpet (or whatever you use). Plus the overhang of the gunwhale will hide any gaps.

HTH.

jjacobs007

Lieutenant

I thought about that, but the wood needs to be very close to edges to put screws in, I am mounting a fishing chair and this wood piece will be straight across at back for storage of my 2 trolling mtr batteries. I bought a piece of aluminum that i am going to try to bend by hand to make the same shape of curve as the support ones are than transfer to wood and draw lines.If i measure the width at back and length from middle to the bow v it might work.what you think?

jjacobs007

Lieutenant

I assume that you are having problems figuring out the curves??? Correct??? Here is what I did and it seemed to work well.

1.) Find the center line of the aft portion of the bow (where the straight part would be.
2.) Stretch a string from the tip of the bow, to the center line found in step #1. This string should be at the height of your bow deck (basically right on top of your aluminum supports shown in you picture. You may be able to use a straight piece of wood or something instead of a string. The main thing is to just establish a reference line that you can measure from.
3.) Mark the string in 6 inch increments.
4.) At each 6 inch mark, measure the distance to each side wall. Use a framing square to ensure that you are measuring at right angles. Again, this must be done at the same level that your deck will be at. Your boat gets wider as you go up.
5.) Transfer these measurements to you plywood.
6.) You should now have several set of points to which you can freehand and arc that should be close enough to fit into your bow. Keep in mind that if you are off just a bit, that it will be covered by carpet (or whatever you use). Plus the overhang of the gunwhale will hide any gaps.

HTH.
thanks for the idea, i replied to you.

geeco1

Petty Officer 1st Class

I thought about that, but the wood needs to be very close to edges to put screws in, I am mounting a fishing chair and this wood piece will be straight across at back for storage of my 2 trolling mtr batteries. I bought a piece of aluminum that i am going to try to bend by hand to make the same shape of curve as the support ones are than transfer to wood and draw lines.If i measure the width at back and length from middle to the bow v it might work.what you think?

You can certainly try that, but I am unsure at how well it will work. Another thing to try is to get a large piece of cardboard and start cutting the curve, bit-by-bit until it fits. Then use the cardboard as a template.

jjacobs007

Lieutenant

You can certainly try that, but I am unsure at how well it will work. Another thing to try is to get a large piece of cardboard and start cutting the curve, bit-by-bit until it fits. Then use the cardboard as a template.

well i tried my idea and spent 10.00 for aluminum and it sucked,I am thinking of the cardboard idea now and how to do it.this boat has been a serious project of mine and is nearly completed!any other ideas are welcome not enough beer in the world to finish this boat lol

FunInDuhSun

Chief Petty Officer

I was a carpenter for 35 years. A cardboard pattern is the way to go.
Cardboard is easy to mark, cut, fix (tape) and CHEAP.
Once you get it exactly right, lay it over the aluminium and transfer the marks.
Remember- measure twice, cut once.

tmcalavy

Rear Admiral

Use a compass to scribe the run of the line onto cardboard, then use several pieces of cardboard to make a template that fills the space, tape cardboard together and remove...you now have a pattern. Takes time but measure a lot and cut once is a lot cheaper that the other way around.

jjacobs007

Lieutenant

Use a compass to scribe the run of the line onto cardboard, then use several pieces of cardboard to make a template that fills the space, tape cardboard together and remove...you now have a pattern. Takes time but measure a lot and cut once is a lot cheaper that the other way around.

not sure what you mean about compass but im gonna try to find big piece of cardboard and cut little by little.what if i just make the curve outline with cardboard and then use my mesurements and fill in the curve between bow and rear corners.maybe cut the curve little by little and then tape togeather each piece.

jjacobs007

Lieutenant

I was a carpenter for 35 years. A cardboard pattern is the way to go.
Cardboard is easy to mark, cut, fix (tape) and CHEAP.
Once you get it exactly right, lay it over the aluminium and transfer the marks.
Remember- measure twice, cut once.

thanks for the idea, the space is 50" wide at back and narrowing toward bow,big piece how can i stiffen the cardboard so it wont bend while cutting slowly.

mytquinn

Cadet

I used tongue depressors, or popsicle sticks, and a hot glue gun.
You'd be surprised how fast it is. It worked great!

100_4225.jpg

jjacobs007

Lieutenant

DSCF9807.jpgDSCF9806.jpg
I used tongue depressors, or popsicle sticks, and a hot glue gun.
You'd be surprised how fast it is. It worked great!

100_4225.jpg
well i did the cardboard idea, and it went great. the areas where i couldnt match perfect i just drew on the board the difference.fits perfect and i wish i would have tried the popsicle idea looks awesome.i just used tape and sharp cutters and finished it in under 20 min.thanks for the ideas guys i really love them,and will help my boat project along a far way.you can see my failed aluminum piece in photo,yes the bottom wasnt straight on board but the corners were so i went by them.

jjacobs007

Lieutenant

console pics 013.jpgconsole pics 020.jpgDSCF9623.jpg2145.jpg2143.jpgsome of my boats pics

jjacobs007

Lieutenant

DSCF9793.jpgDSCF9796.jpgDSCF9799.jpgmore pics