HOW TO build and replace transom. Need help

bikecop1

Seaman
New to this as this is my first boat. Obviously I have to replace my transom as you can see from the picture. The width of the space it needs to fit is 1 3/8 inch. I have access to marine plywood and I have read about people using epoxy and fiberglass to seal two pieces together. How do I go about doing this. What is the epoxy to use and where is the best place to get this. What do you stain and seal it with and how much extra width does this increase? Any help the experts can give would be appreciated.
5425483290_fceb6a56bd_b.jpg

Psiclown

Petty Officer 1st Class
Re: HOW TO build and replace transom. Need help

You can check out my thread below for transom stuff. Just do a search and you'll find everything you need. :)

Bob_VT

Moderator & Unofficial iBoats Historian
Staff member

Go here http://forums.iboats.com/showthread.php?t=385090 this is the Starcraft index and you will see MANY aluminum boat restorations.

Rule # 1 NEVER use pressure treated wood with an aluminum boat.

We have a ton of aluminum experienced re builder's here so you are in good company ;)

Bob_VT

Staff member

Do you have any pictures of the whole boat? Sounds like a good project.

oops!

Supreme Mariner

that boat is a breeze to fix bud.....follow bobs instructions.....its no sweat

bikecop1

Seaman

My plan is to make the benches, seat backs and dash out of mahogony. Would a piece of mahogony be strong enough for a transom? It would be about 53 inches wide by 10 inches tall and 1 3/8 inches thick.

5425483222_65cbf8a14f_b.jpg
5424882259_e5a4d29a63_b.jpg
5425483392_43273b2322_b.jpg

Huron Angler

Admiral

Wow nice boat there, great project.:)

Plywood is best, exterior grade or marine grade sealed with epoxy resin. I get my resin from clarkcraft.com, they specialize in wood boats and kayaks. Two sheets of 5/8" would be perfect, not sure you can get it that size though.

Maybe two sheets of 1/2" with some fiberglass layers added for thickness?

bikecop1

Seaman

Once I get it soda blasted I plan on polishing the hull. What should I do with the interior?

bikecop1

Seaman

Looks like I can get some 3/4 inch marine plywood from a local woodworking shop. My plan is to glue together and then plane it the 1/8 of an inch to fit. I will have to buy a 4x8 sheet so there should be enough to make two transoms so I will have a spare in case I ever have to replace it again.

Bob_VT

Staff member

Where would you have to plane off that 1/8"? I bet you can make it work without planing it at all. Maybe we are jumping the gun....... let's see what happens when you have a transom piece cut and glued .....ready for the dry fit ;)

bikecop1

Seaman

The bottom actually sits in a channel that is about 2 inches deep. Also, I measured the sides and the width there is 1 3/8 also. Ill check it once I have it glued together. A friend has a planer so it is there if I need it.

Woodonglass

Supreme Mariner

Planing Plywood is NOT advisable. The laminate layers are NOT that thick so you will very quickly be into the waterproofresin that was used to glue it all togheter and that is NOT good on Planer Blades. I do NOT think you will need to worry about planing the wood.

bikecop1

Seaman

Here are some pics of where the transom goes. What do you guys think. How much thickness is the epoxy going to add and do I have to allow for swelling or will it swell with the epoxy on?
5448854495_014aceefa2_b.jpg
5448854087_7fb2587252_b.jpg

Last edited:

Ross72

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Just a thought from a cabinet maker.

3/4" plywood is actually only 23/32" So 2 pieces laminated together would only be 1-7/16". That is only 1/16" over your "max" width. Also, your measuring with a tape and not calipers. So I think you will be fine. I don't think the epoxy would add much to the thickness.

You definately don't want to plane plywood. As stated above, it will destroy the planer knives. With all the laminated plys in the plywood, it's likely that the planer would wind up "in between" plys and give you a poor surface to work with.

bikecop1

Seaman

If I coat the two pieces with epoxy and then sandwich them together will that be enough to hold it or will some sort of glue be needed. Also, would it be wise to put a layer of fiberglass cloth inbetween.

rickryder

Commander

I would buy a sheet of 5/8" underlayment and use 2 pieces to make 1 1/4" then wrap it in glass that should work out to your 1 3/8"

TheDugster

Recruit
HOW TO build and replace transom. Need help

BUMP!

This looks to be the same exact Lone Star boat I purchased. Did you make any headway on the transom? That is my number one project.

jbcurt00

Staff member

Dug, it's been over 2years since Bikecop posted in this thread, and almost a year since he posted @iboats.

There should have been a big red banner at the bottom of your browser window asking that you not post to a 90+day inactive thread. This certainly qualifies. After 90 days since the original poster [OP] replied, the thread should be treated as a library book, for research only & not to be written in. I think it's referenced in the guidelines & rules you agreed to when you joined. By avoiding a new reply in an inactive thread, helps to prevents discussions that don't benefit the OP or their project.

Start a thread about YOUR Lone*Star, post up some pix we LOVE boat pix (good, bad, ugly, derelict no matter) and the crew @ the iboats dry dock will help you get everything you need to do to yours, done & done well.

If you want to follow up & ask questions about an inactive thread, just left click their user name along the left side of the screen & choose 'Private Message'. That will take you to a new screen and allow you to send a message directly to the OP, via the method they chose for messages from the forum. Mine are forwarded directly to my email as soon as you hit send. I think there are other choices.

If they get the message & can answer (or are inclined to) your question, they'll PM you back.

Welcome to the dry dock @iboats, the tin division.

Let us see what you're working on.