Homemade transom savers?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bob_VT

Moderator & Unofficial iBoats Historian
Staff member
Re: Homemade transom savers?

Transom saver's are very inexpensive for the job they do. Why would people make something that sells for about $20-$30.

People make practical items such as trailer bunks, slides and side boards. They are not worth the time or effort to DIY.

Johndhii

Seaman

I completely agree
Transom saver's are very inexpensive for the job they do. Why would people make something that sells for about $20-$30.

People make practical items such as trailer bunks, slides and side boards. They are not worth the time or effort to DIY.

seaboo

Petty Officer 1st Class

I agree they are cheep, and people don't diy cheep parts!!!! That being said I cut a piece of pvc pipe to length, cut it down the middle and made a set if I/O "clips" for the rams (that serve the same purpose as a transom saver for an outboard and sell for about 12 bucks....cost 1/2 hr of free time and some scrap material I was gonna throw away anytime).

Alpheus

Lieutenant Commander

I completely agree

Yay your post count just got bigger...

Wow what a bunch of Debby Downers.:(

With attitudes like that they should just shut down this whole forum.
"Why should you fix your own boat when you can just pay someone money to fix it for you".

Because 30 bucks saved on something I can make myself= a couple hours of gas for spending time out on the water

Why make one?

For the sheer sense of accomplishment.

I don't have a transom saver, but I do use pieces of PVC pipe that have a slice cut up the middle that I slip over the hydraulic rams to prevent them from dragging on the road if a line or seal should decide to leak while trailering. Yes there is a company that makes these contraptions and yes they are less than 20-30 dollars, but I made my own for free. You know the old saying still holds true today as well you know. "A penny saved is a penny earned".

Come up with something and show us what ya got...

Bob_VT

Moderator & Unofficial iBoats Historian
Staff member

Yay your post count just got bigger...

Wow what a bunch of Debby Downers.:(

With attitudes like that they should just shut down this whole forum.
"Why should you fix your own boat when you can just pay someone money to fix it for you".

Because 30 bucks saved on something I can make myself= a couple hours of gas for spending time out on the water

Why make one?

For the sheer sense of accomplishment.

I don't have a transom saver, but I do use pieces of PVC pipe that have a slice cut up the middle that I slip over the hydraulic rams to prevent them from dragging on the road if a line or seal should decide to leak while trailering. Yes there is a company that makes these contraptions and yes they are less than 20-30 dollars, but I made my own for free. You know the old saying still holds true today as well you know. "A penny saved is a penny earned".

Come up with something and show us what ya got...

Sure post a design for an older boat with an outboard with a questionable transom. The term transom saver only helps keep a transom from suffering while not supported during travel. If you start with a bad transom it will not get better.

Alpheus yes..... pvc pipes help keep an outdrive up when installed on rams. They prevent the unexpected drop of the outdrive during travel. Slightly different animal for an outboard and I am not sure PVC would have the strength and an entirely different installation.

JB

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

Cost of a factory made widget is irrelevant compared to the satisfaction of making/inventing a free alternative. It is a matter of personal style.

Never made a transom saver/outboard foot support but could figure one out and make it pretty easy.

Home Cookin'

Fleet Admiral

well I used to prop up my 18 with a hammer handle; it was also my power trim for shallow water.
My 55, 70 and 150 came with a tilt bracket so i don't need one.
Point is, I saved the $30 to buy a factory made one, and the $10 materials and hour of my time for a home made, and used that money and time on boating, instead of an unnecessary device.

But as to other things, I agree with the sentiment of getting satisfaction from making your own simple solution rather than paying a chain company and Chinese manufacturers more than it is worth. I'll be fabricating a gunwale bait board this season based on "plans" I tore out of a Cabela's catalogue. Wife says, "just buy one it's only $50." Well that's my budget for shoes for the year!

7lazy77

Petty Officer 1st Class

Thanks for your input Home Cookin'. I knew there were some others out there that came up with ideas. This is what forums are about, to get help & ideas from what has worked for others. Thanks again.

robert graham

Admiral

Seems like a 2"x8" PT board of the right length with a "V" cut in one end to accomodate your motor and rig the other end to fit on your trailer would do pretty good. I have a "store-bought" transom saver, but I'll bet I could make one in a hurry if need be. Probably a 100+ ways to skin that cat! Good Luck!

jeremy_nash

Seaman Apprentice

I made my own from a 2x4 with a vee cut on one end, and a diagonal cut on the other. it fits in between the rear trailer roller and the frame. I secure the motor down to it with a tiedown strap

fishrdan

Admiral

I made one out of EMT (plastic electrical conduit) for my little 7.5HP and it worked well for a year,,, until I hit a big bump, snapped an "ear" off. It was cheap and only took me 15 minutes to make, sooo I cobbled up another one. This one lasted a year also, and worked well until I hit that same bump,,, see a pattern developing... I made another (yes, I have a lot of EMT) and it broke the next trip out, I did a crappy job on it.

Since my transom saver design was less than spectacular I broke down (pun intended) and bought one. Doubt I would have bought it unless it was on clearance though, $20 normally $40... I can buy lots of EMT for $40 :D:facepalm:

Lion hunter

Lieutenant Commander

Man why buy it for $20 when you can build it for $40. That's what my wife tells me about most of my projects anyway. I don't have any pics of the ones I have made but they didn't differ in design from any store bought ones. I just had some scraps laying around so they were free other than my time (which is cheap in the winter). :)

erie_guy

Petty Officer 1st Class

I made a homemade one a few years ago for my 70 hp merc. It was made to fit the older merc engine (w/no power tilt) and was made from some scrap aluminum plate and brass rods we had around the shop. The brass rod was used to make a replacement for the manual tilt rod and the 1/4" aluminum plate was fabricated into two side plates. The assembly was like a very large chain link in a motorcycle chain. When the engine was in normal operating position it was supported on the brass rod closest to the transom. When in the trailer position, the throttle was put into N or F and the engine rotated up to the desired height. At this point the side plates and lower brass rod was rotated into the supporting position and the engine lowered onto the rod. The engine was then put into R and the locking claw grabbed onto the rod - locking the engine into the trailering configuration with no bungees needed. I have trailered over many rough roads and never had the reverse paw let go of the rod or allow the engine to fall back to the operating position.

I have attached a sketch of the configuration, but you may not be able to download it as it was created in HomeOffice.com drawing format. Sorry but this web site will not up load this drawing format.

Several fellow boaters saw me hooking up to travel and thought it might be available from a marina, but I never found such a contraption. I sold it years ago with the boat and engine. It would probably take a couple of hours to make measurements on your engine and cut and drill the parts. I used set screws to lock the brass rods into the side plates. I always trailered so marine life/corrosion was not an issue.

I am now a I/O owner so have no need for such a device - or I would make another in a heart beat.

erie_guy
Port Clinton,OH

erie_guy

Petty Officer 1st Class

Trying to upload sketch.

Attachments

• TransomSaver2.doc
    14 KB · Views: 13

MAXXIE

Chief Petty Officer

I think this is a great subject to talk about. I spent quite some time last year trying to design my own Transom saver because the $20-$30 ones that I could buy will not work on my boat/trailer set up. For whatever reason the trailer manufacture did not put a cross bar at the rear of the trailer so I don't have anywhere to mount that part of the T-saver. I tried several different ideas, but nothing would work. I think the only option will be is to bolt/weld a cross bar right at the rear of the trailer. I thought this thread might have given me some ideas, so to the Orig. poster, Great Subject.

MAXXIE

Chief Petty Officer

erie, I don't understand the PDF file sketch.

Home Cookin'

Fleet Admiral

You don't need a transom saver for a small motor (like the 7.5 above). You may need something to keep the motor tilted up if the motor doesn't have a working tilt latch or bracket. A broomstick will do, tied on.

If your trailer doesn't have a rear cross bar, it is a sign that you do not need a transom saver.
If your trailer has a rear cross bar, and your motor has a tilt bracket, it is a sign that you do not need a transom saver.
If your transom needs a saver, it is a sign you need to repair your transom.

The only device you might need in some circumstances is to keep the motor's tilt latch from coming unlatched if you hit a bump, the motor lifts up, trips the latch, and falls down to the runnning position, and your trailer doesn't have enough clearance for the skeg. Most trailers have a few inches, which is enough to stop and fix it. But the best cure is to tie down the motor against the latch so it doesn't bounce loose.

erie_guy

Petty Officer 1st Class

MAXXIE,

Neither do I. The file became corrupted in the translation. I can not get a picture of it anymore as it is long gone. I however will get a picture in a week of so of my son's outboard and will be able to markup the .jpg file - hopefully this might clear it up.

erie_guy

Status
Not open for further replies.