Holley overflow hose

Gangly

Seaman
I can't find a hollow overflow hose/tube anywhere. Does anybody know what material or type it is, or where I can find a replacement one?

tazrig

Lieutenant Commander
Re: Holley overflow hose

What motor does the carb come from? Make, year model, etc.?

deafwish

Cadet

Thin diameter copper tube.
Most plumbing supplies stores should stock this...

Don S

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

I can't find a hollow overflow hose/tube anywhere. Does anybody know what material or type it is, or where I can find a replacement one?

Not sure what "overflow hose/tube" you are referring to, the J tube for overflow from the float bowl, or the hose connector from the fuel pump?

Gangly

Seaman

1990 OMC 350 with a Holley 4175

I have 2 hoses/lines that connect the carb to the mechanical fuel pump. A steel/brass/copper line that connects the mechanical pump to the carb via screw fittingss (fuel inlet tube), and the second is a polymer hose that is red that comes from the Holley carb and runs back down to the fuel pump. The polymer line is not threaded or clamped, its simply a slip fit hose. I assumed it was an overflow tube from what I have been reading.

Trying to find a replacement hose for it. I'll try to get a picture of it for ya'll to see.

Don S

That hose should never have anything in it, if it does, then you have a bad fuel pump. It's only there to prevent gas from going in the bilge if the pump fails. The gas goes to the carb and causes a rich running problem and very poor idle.
Regular clear vinyl tubing is all it is, nothing special.

Picture not necessary, your explanation was enough.

Gangly

Seaman

Engine_zps40ba501d.jpg

1990 OMC 350 with Holley 4175

The red polymer hose is what I am trying to replace and has a red arrow pointing to it. It is reddish orange and has crystalized on the outside. It is possible that it was clear at one time and the past 23 years have turned it that color but I doubt it. The green arrow is pointing to the fuel inlet line with screw fittings. Any further help is greatly appreciated it.

Bondo

Staff member

The red polymer hose is what I am trying to replace and has a red arrow pointing to it. It is reddish orange and has crystalized on the outside. It is possible that it was clear at one time and the past 23 years have turned it that color but I doubt it

Ayuh,... As Don has explained, it's a warning hose to tell ya the fuel pump has failed, if there's gas in it...

Normally, there should be Nothing in it...

Clear vinyl will work, or you could use tygon tubing if you which... but Clear is just Fine, 'n easier to find...

Gangly

Seaman

THank you guys for the great information, I was getting pretty paranoid about it and was hesitant to start the motor up thinking that it could clog something up. Again, thanks for the clear and helpful information guys, I'll put some clear hose on it and be done with it.

After the carb rebuild, Im hoping it fires right up. The boat is a 1991 with only 44 hours on it. The engine appears to be in factory show room condition so hopefully everything still works, time has a funny way of making fools out of men though, hopefully not in this case.

bruceb58

Supreme Mariner

When was the last time it was started?

Gangly

Seaman

8 years ago

I've drained the tank, changed the oil, changed the impeller and housing, drive oil, plugs, and turned the motor over by hand a few times. Motor ran for about 5 seconds then died with fuel coming out of the carb. I've already got the carb kit and will rebuild the carb in the next few days. It might just be stuck floats, but being 22 years old I'm thinking it needs to be rebuilt regardless so I'll go ahead and knock it out now.

bruceb58

Supreme Mariner

If it hasn't run for that long, I would seriously think about investing in a drill operated tool that you can spin the oil pump with. Basically, pull the distributor and use the tool to pre-oil the engine. Mark the distributor where the rotor is pointing so you get it back in roughly the same spot.

I would also probably squirt oil in each cylinder and rotate the engine by hand a few times a day or two before you actually start it.

Levinz11

Senior Chief Petty Officer

Motor looks like its out of a time machine.

Don S

Motor looks like its out of a time machine.

So it was a bit over exposed, it showed what he was asking about, so what's the problem? Or do we now have to have photography experts to take pictures of an engine like we have to have grammer and punctuation experts to ask a question?

Gangly

Seaman

Thanks for theheads up Don and Bruce. Before i ever cranked it i sprayed marvel mystery oil in each cylinder and cranked a few cycles by hand to make sure it would turn. I left it for two days and then cranked it with the starter (minus spark) a couple times then let it sit for another 24 hours before trying to start it up. I think it should be alright but ill keep a close eye on it for sure.

Levin, I am no photographer by any means, that picture does it an injustice. When I'm finished with it illtake a few pics to show it.

Ned L

Commander

I'll say that I took Levinz's "time machine" comment to mean WOW it looks like a new engine! I will say that for one that hasn't even been started in eight years it does look great!

Levinz11

Senior Chief Petty Officer

I'll say that I took Levinz's "time machine" comment to mean WOW it looks like a new engine! I will say that for one that hasn't even been started in eight years it does look great!

That's what I was saying Nel. It looks awesome compared to my lump.