high density poly repair

dellaperu

Recruit
Hi All,<br />Nice place you have here. This is my first post so I apologize if it's in the wrong forum. I ran a search and came up blank. I have a small Basstender 10.2 for freshwater pond hopping thats developed some deep scratches that are now leaking. Ive tried various patches but nothing seems to bond to the plastic or last very long. Looking for instruction/materials for long term repair. Any help is greatly appreciated.<br /><br />Thanks

tashasdaddy

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Re: high density poly repair

i think it is dupont 882. it's in the shop will check in the morning. is this boat similar to the 10'2 bass hound? if so i just repaired 1 with a hole in. jus did some research and they are . see you in the am.

dellaperu

Recruit

Thanks for the reply sir! Yes it looks almost identical to the Bass Hound 10.2 and according to the owners manual, the same HD Poly material (dupont 882?). I'm new to plastics, any advice how to repair it would be great. thanks again

tashasdaddy

dellaperu, dupont 832 is the right compound. it is gray and cannot be tinted. the hull of your boat is a polly carbonate. the same thing the plastic lid of a coffee can. if you have a hole cut a patch a little larger the the hole. apply dupont 832 to hull push patch on and hold for a few minutes. will take several days to set up. this is what bass hound told me to do and dupont. i had to special order 832.

imported_bjs

Petty Officer 1st Class

duramix or expoy shoukd work maybe talk to someone who works in a body shop they deal with a lot of plastic parts if they work on new cars.cause thats all there made of is plastic like your boat

tashasdaddy

it's a different material than the auto parts. i gave you the recommended way that i got from the mfg.

dellaperu

Recruit

thank you both very much. i got the same reply from leisure life boats (the mfr) about dupont 832. he said it should be available at most industrial supply shops. if not i will special order and report back. thanks again, sincerely appreciate the help

buck01

Cadet

Just as I side note, I was in the plastics industry for many years and hope to offer a little bit of insight as well. A few polymers are designed for chemical resistance. Two of the most common are polyethylene (PE, either HDPE or LDPE high and low density) and Polystyrene (PS). When bonding two materials together (specifically plastics) there are 2 ways as with any other materials. Chemical and Mechanical. <br /><br />Normally glues for plastics contain solvents which begin to eat away at the surface it is on, then when the 2 pieces are put together, the solvent dissipates, and a chemical bond is left (in effect making 1 piece out of formerly 2). This process is similar to welding 2 pieces of steel to create 1. This is the best bond.<br /><br />There is also mechanical. Glues and various adhesives will not create a chemical bond in PE. Using foreign substances, a good seal is the best you can hope for. When applying, make sure you smooth out the area as best you can. bumps and ridges commonly put on parts by design, will create headaches for you very fast. Make sure you get a fair amount on the inside of the hole as well as the outside to patch the hole.<br /><br />If the hole has any size to it, hot air weld may be your only solution. <br /><br />As a side note, there are various grades of PE, but they are all very similar. But in general if you have an old fisher price toy house in your yard or something like that, try patching a hole in it for a test run before you do something to your prize toy.<br /><br />here are a couple of other products for you to research as well which are designed for bonding polyolefins and similar products I was never in the past associated with either, nor do I give full endorsement of either:<br /><br />3M - Scotch Weld DP 8005 (drawback is it is acrylic based, and acrylic by nature is hygroscopic (attracts and absorbs moisture).<br /><br />Marine-Tex - Poly-Dura (It is a mechanical bond, and an epoxy resin, my suspicion is life of your hole repair will be short lived).<br /><br />Here is a neat link explaining a way to do-it-yourself hot air weld. <br /> http://www.a-a-i.net/polyethylene.htm as a note on this, I have never used this method as there are industrial heat guns I have used.<br /><br />Best of luck on your project.

tashasdaddy

roger, great post. this is basically what bass hound told me.