Help needed in transom repair!

midmoskier

Cadet
Guys I need a little help deciding with a 1985 Bass Tracker with Kevlar hull I'm going to replace the transom within the area of the motor mounts as it is the only damage I have. The jackplate cut into the skin so I have been debating on going with Seacast with this project or go traditional fiberglass rebuild.
Thanks & keep up the good work!

oops!

Supreme Mariner
Re: Help needed in transom repair!

hi...welcome to i boats !

we need pics......but if the jackplate cut into the glass.....you have rot.....find out how far the rot goes....seacast can be done faster than a traditional job.....but costs more

jonesg

Admiral

Cut the top open, chainsaw it out and pour a transom. Re-glass the top, fair and touch up with paint and cover with the trim. Just did mine last spring, not too bad a job. Nida-core is cheaper though.
Follow the video on the seacast website, pretty well describes everything.

midmoskier

Cadet

Here are the outside pic's won't have any inside pic's till I get ready for project!
photostream

I'm not sure how to get the pictures show!
http://www.flickr.com/photos/midmoskier/4387219959/in/photostream/http://www.flickr.com/photos/midmoskier/4387222799/in/photostream/

midmoskier

Cadet

I will be taking the cap off to do the work I have checked into the brown metal flake and it's hard to find so I'd rather not cut into the cap. Are there any draw backs doing it this way?

ezmobee

Supreme Mariner

Yeah, it's a pain....BUT it's also the best way to to it! Good luck with your repair.

jonesg

Admiral

I will be taking the cap off to do the work I have checked into the brown metal flake and it's hard to find so I'd rather not cut into the cap. Are there any draw backs doing it this way?

Its just a lot more work removing the cap, but if you have a decent workplace why not.
If you pop the cap theres no need to use seacast, marine ply is a good choice. Exterior ply is another popular choice.
The whole benefit to pourable transoms is you don't need to remove the top.
Plus it don't rot and it adds to the value.( I hope)

midmoskier

Cadet

I will post pictures when I start as soon as the snow melts!