Help - Fuel problem, bulb won't prime, should it?

NJboater65

Recruit
I have a 1990 200 hp Evinrude on my boat. It starts and runs relatively fine. However, no matter how many times i squeeze the primer bulb, it does not get soild. Even after its running for a while, it does not get solid. Do I have a problem? The bulb is new and all the lines are tight. (FYI, the fuel comes from the tank, thru a fuel/water separator filter, exits to a hose, thru the bulb, thru a hose which goes to the motor. Right before it hits the carbs, there is a in-line glass type filter) Any help/thoughts would be appreciated! Thanks, Ken

dew2

Senior Chief Petty Officer
Re: Help - Fuel problem, bulb won't prime, should it?

Is fuel leaking anywhere? once the motor is running the bulb wont be hard its then just part of the fuel line,Its only there to get the fuel to the bowl. If the motor is starting and running you have no problem.I would check the fuel lines for air or fuel leaks anyway just to confirm.

Will Bark

Lieutenant

If the engine's not complaining then you must not have a problem.

fox89

Recruit

I had the same problem a while back on my dads boat and changed the fuel lines and put new fittings from tank to line and line to motor. But like dew2 said check for a leak or air leak but from personal experience for me it has normally been the fuel lines being old and dried out. If the lines have never been changed since 1990 though it will more than likely be bad lines. Good Luck

boobie

Supreme Mariner

Does it get hard before first starting the mtr on initial start up?? If not you could have a bad primer bulb or a good fuel leak.