headgasket/exhaust cover tq and pattern on a 98 120hp force

IMPATIENT 1

Seaman Apprentice
yeah, i know, another dang newbie asking about headgaskets:D sorry guys, but i really searched the site high and low but kept finding conflicting posts from members who appear to know there stuff, so i wanted to make 100% certain this thing goes together right, we're ready to fish;)
here's what i found for the headgasket:

start with the center two bolts # 1&2 then just below # 3&4 then just above # 5&6 and so on until you reach the end of the head your torque is 120 in lbs + 90 degrees

is that correct? i'm a gm tech, and have a electronic angle meter, very familiar with torque to yield bolts, i just wanna make sure before i pulled threads outta the block:eek:

anyone know the torque on the exhaust cover on the 98 120hp force? my plate cracked , i've got the replacement in , ready to get r done:D

thanx guys, again sorry for yet another headgasket thread:rolleyes::D

Frank Acampora

Supreme Mariner
Re: headgasket/exhaust cover tq and pattern on a 98 120hp force

head bolt pattern is correct, use 225 INCH pounds in at least two steps.

Exhaust cover will use a similar pattern to avoid warping. If the bolts are 1/4-20, use 70 INCH pounds. If 5/16-18, use 160 INCH pounds. These are standard torque values.

IMPATIENT 1

Seaman Apprentice
Re: headgasket/exhaust cover tq and pattern on a 98 120hp force

head bolt pattern is correct, use 225 INCH pounds in at least two steps.

Exhaust cover will use a similar pattern to avoid warping. If the bolts are 1/4-20, use 70 INCH pounds. If 5/16-18, use 160 INCH pounds. These are standard torque values.

cooool! i did the same pattern and 225inlbs on the 1st headgasket, went looking for the exhaust cover tq specs and ran across the angle tq deal, thought uuuuuhhhoohhh:eek: i bought a master gasket set for the motor to have everything on hand, and we're ready to use this boat! i've had it for 4months and only on the water 30minutes:mad: ordered the plate local thru the merc dealer(i provided the p#) for 45bucks, master gasket set for 85, fuel pump rebuild kit for 10. pump works but may as well while i'm at it, already did water pump kit and it didn't need it;):D this outboard stuff so far has been soo cheap, i get bored and wanna spend $$$ on it, bad reoccuring jetboat habit:rolleyes::p

thanx again frank!