grease seal behind the gimbal bearing ?

scottn83

Petty Officer 2nd Class
OK finally got the gimbal bearing out. Amazing how much easier things are with the right tools (if any of you are thinking about doing this go to an auto parts store and borrow the slide hammer and puller) any way after pulling the bearing it left a small rubber ring. I think this may have been a seal or what was left of the seal. There is a metal ring still in the opening from where i pulled the bearing what i also think is part of the seal. Is that the seal? if so I am going to ask the question that i think i already know the answer too. Do i need to pull that metal ring and reset the seal with the bearing. here is a couple of pics but they are a bit blurry Pic 1 and 2 is of the gimbal area and the third is what i found behind the bearing when it came out.

Thanks for any input

Attachments

• 008.jpg
    008.jpg
    132.3 KB · Views: 0
  • 009.jpg
    009.jpg
    141.8 KB · Views: 0
  • 010.jpg
    010.jpg
    136.9 KB · Views: 0

Fishermark

Vice Admiral
Re: grease seal behind the gimbal bearing ?

It is my understanding that it is more of a dust seal than anything else. I don't believe replacing it will make a big difference one way or another.

ohioriverat

Petty Officer 2nd Class

True but the gimble i recieved included this seal, if you ever left the plug in water could get into the driveshaft bellows and ruin your gimble.

stonyloam

Vice Admiral

That was a seal LOL. It is shot. I believe its original purpose is to keep the excess gimbal bearing grease from getting into the engine compartment. If you are using a permalube bearing it is probably not necessary, if you install a bearing that needs to be greased it is probably a good idea to replace it.

scottn83

Petty Officer 2nd Class

thanks for the input of reading your posts i had a closer look an with the seal in i dont think the bearing even touches the seal so i would say it being more of a dust seal is right thanks all for your input