Grady White cracks thru hull

nelsonk11

Seaman Apprentice
At first I thougt they were stress cracks in gelcoat, but they are hairline cracks that go through. The foam behind is moist. I can't reach from behind. The boat is 24' and these are on one side about 5" high (vertical) just starting at the waterline and running downward every few inches for about a 6 foot section. Everything seems very structually sound however. How can I repair these cracks and make them watertight? Do I have to cut out a 6' wide section 5" high below the waterline? That doesn't seem like a very good approach!
Thanks

jonesg

Admiral
Re: Grady White cracks thru hull

did it whack a pier ?
if theres no wooden superstructure behind except foam I'd guess it took a hit.
Its important to find the reason before wasting time fixin only to have a repeat.

I'd get rid of the foam because the best fix is outside and inside work.
Grind and reinforce from the inside then do the finish work to the exterior.Replace foam if you want or not.

nelsonk11

Seaman Apprentice

It didn't hit anything. I had a marine surveyor look at it last weekend. He said not to worry about them they were only in the gel coat. Thanks for your help.

Yacht Dr.

Vice Admiral

Hello m8..pics please..

Prob a hardpoint from a bulk head..

Could be in the gel/skin only.. or could be all through..the only way to tell is to grind the outside paint/gel off. Or ask superman to xray it :)

YD.

dingbat

Supreme Mariner

What year is the boat? Here are the cracks located? Fore, aft?

Did you call Grady yet?