Gearbox oil fill up ?

Danny_P_G

Seaman Apprentice
Can you overfill the gearbox ?<br /><br />I have got 2 holes one right at the bottom and one at the top ! i take it the bottom hole is the drain hole and the top hole is the fill hole ? Do i just remove the top screw and fill it up untill oil comes out it ?<br /><br />Thanks

rickdb1boat

Supreme Mariner
Re: Gearbox oil fill up ?

You would fill it from the bottom hole(Squeezing it in) until it comes out of the top hole(Vent Hole). Then put the top screw in and followed by the bottom screw. They make a pump adapter that fits the fluid containers just for this purpose to make it easier...<br /><br />
oilpump_f.jpg

BF

Lieutenant

and make sure the engine is trimmed down all the way when you fill it, otherwise you can get a big air bubble in the back of the gear case, and be underfilled even though you filled it until it came out the vent hole.<br /><br />That's why you always fill from the bottom... to make sure it's full without air trapped inside. <br /><br />It also helps to read the manual about how much it supposed to take, with the pump thingy, you won't spill much and you'll know how much went in.

rickdb1boat

Supreme Mariner

Oh, and always use new washers on the drain/fill screws...

Paul Moir

Admiral

Did you get the l/u unstuck? If so, did you have to reseal the gearbox? Did the crack run right through? I just want to make sure it was done properly.<br />BT mechanical shift l/u takes on about 400ml of oil.

Danny_P_G

Seaman Apprentice

I am going to refull it and then have a play and check everthing over again before i open it up ! I am going away for a week tomorrow but going to get stuck with the boat when i return and will let you know