Gear lube leaking out of the exhaust

LIGHTFOOT

Seaman
I have a 66 9.5 Evinrude that I just bought. When the motor is laid on its back, gear lube runs out the exhaust port. This is not 2 cycle oil, it lets gear lube out and it lets water leak in as well (at least its getting water in the lower end). What seal do I need to replace to cure this, and would I be better off just changing all the lower end seals in it as I don't know the history of this motor?

Also, the first time I ran it on the boat, it jumped out of gear a couple times then it quit doing that. Should I be checking for a specific problem when checking out the lower end?

One last question, using a mixture of 50:1, this engine seems to smoke more than my 6 hp does, a lot more. Does this sound like a carbon problem? It runs VERY strong at high end.

I look forward to your expert opinions on this!

------------
Larry

freddyray21

Commander
Re: Gear lube leaking out of the exhaust

50:1 is the right lube. You can do a pressure test with the lower off and find the leak, but I have never replaced just one seal. If you are already in there replace all the seals and be done with it.

Vic.S

Rear Admiral
Re: Gear lube leaking out of the exhaust

If the oil is running from the exhaust outlet I think it points to the shift rod seal. Bearing in mind the dropping out of gear there may be a problem in that area. The shift rod also passes through a bush. If oil is running out fast I wonder if both bush and seal could be missing!

If the oil leaks from the water intake it points to the drive shaft seals below the water pump.

The gear problem could be a worn clutch dog.

Sensible way forward is to drop the unit off srtip it down, examine all parts and replace what is worn (or missing!) and rebuild with all new seals and water pump.