Garmin Vs Humminbird

loges17

Cadet
Looking to get a GPS/Depth Sounder Combo and was just wondering if anyone had opinions of these two models:

- GARMIN GPSMAP? 520s Fishfinder/Chartplotter Combo (with dual-frequency transducer)

- HUMMINBIRD 788ci Fishfinder/Chartplotter Combo

Also any opinons on Garmin vs Humminbird would also be helpful.

Cheers

BaileysBoat

Senior Chief Petty Officer
Re: Garmin Vs Humminbird

I bought a Humminbird 7 series this year, works great. Excellant GPS, excellant maps and bottom charts. Found a shoal I didn't even know about after 25 years on our Quebec lake.

The mapping software made the difference.

The Garmin was no good for me because their mapping doesn't cover the Canadian lakes I frequent, although the are now providing coverage for some Canadian lakes.

I went with an external antenna.

Good luck.

BB

rolmops

Vice Admiral

I don't like the idea of a GPS and a fish finder sharing the same screen.My setup is a Garmin 182C GPS/Chart plotter and a 757 Humminbird fishfinder with triple frequency and side imaging.The best of 2 worlds with a reasonable price tag.

xxturbowesxx

Chief Petty Officer

Either way check both companies to make sure their charts cover the areas you use your boat. If both of them do then i would go with the Garmin unit.

marine4003

Lieutenant Junior Grade

Its kinda like asking Ford or Chevy..it comes down to personal preference, i have 2 Raymarine units an A60 +A65 , great units, you can shift screens from GPS to Fishfinder, or split screen, use Navionics chips, easy to read easy menu's ect..on the Stratos i have the 788 Humminbird..love it. its just for finding my slippery friends, great readout,self diagnosis,dual transponder as i have been known to bring the boat slightly offshore..the 'Bird takes a beating..no problems, great customer support. Fly the 'Bird.

Fl_Richard

Lieutenant

I've owned both. I currently use a sidescan Humminbird.

In my opinion the GPS & mapping/graphic functionality on the Garmin is superior and the sonar side of the Humminbird is superior. The Garmin is a smoother machine to operate, the Humminbird is "clunkier" but side-scan rules in the Gulf of Mexico.

Boss Hawg

Lieutenant

I don't like the idea of a GPS and a fish finder sharing the same screen.My setup is a Garmin 182C GPS/Chart plotter and a 757 Humminbird fishfinder with triple frequency and side imaging.The best of 2 worlds with a reasonable price tag.

I'm much the same-
I have the Garmin 172 & a couple Garmin fishfinders :cool:
Course i get confused easy & try to keep all this modern tech stuff simple as possible :confused:

John_S

Rear Admiral

Having seperates for big water may make sense. On the inland lakes I boat on, I found using a combo to be just fine. Features that use both functions where you can set waypoints from recordings, are valuable. I ended up selling the Eagle Intellimap 502C GPS.

PS: How were you able to get side scan working on a 757?

JB

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

1. I agree with two seperate units, not a combo.

2. I think Garmin is the best GPS system.

3. I think Lowrance/Eagle are the best SONARs.

Every H'bird I ever had was trouble and H'birds show up here as failing much more often than brands that are more common.