Fuel/Water Seperator

bigmarc66

Seaman
Looking into putting one on my boat over winter. How important are they. Who makes a good one? I have been looking at a couple different ones. The sierra one, http://www.westmarine.com/webapp/wc...hand experience with either. Thanks, Marcus

Last edited by a moderator:

j442w30

Petty Officer 1st Class
Re: Fuel/Water Seperator

I have one of the more basic styles, it cost about $30 if I remember correctly. I feel that it is good to have, certainly doesn't hurt. The Racor is a much better unit but does cost significantly more, the main advantage being you can drain the water out without having to change the filter as well as better filtration. Iboats sells cheaper separators than West Marine.

StrykeKing

Cadet

I have a Racor on mine and in my opinion they should be on any boat with a built-in fuel tank. Very cheap insurance on those expensive engines, water and moisture has a nasty habit of getting into fuel tanks. Keeping the tank topped up doesn't hurt either (less air inside to condense). The other nice thing is you can run your main motor and the kicker from the same tank.

You won't regret putting one on if it saves your engine even once it will have paid for it's self big time.

Frank Acampora

Supreme Mariner

I have a commercial air/water separator with a polycarbonate bowl and sintered plastic filter that I use for a fuel filter mounted in my splashwell. I got mine free--always a good price; that's why I used it--but you can buy one at Graingers. Not cheap though--they start around 125.

Last season it saved my butt! I mixed fuel brands out of necessity--at a marina-- and had the dreaded alcohol/ mtbe goo develop. The separator caught it all and I was able to drain it a couple of times and keep on going. Saved me a tow, saved me from removing and cleaning the carbs, and saved the day. I think every boat should have one. even an expensive one at 90 bucks is cheap (just in the aggravation factor) if it prevents one problem.

dingbat

Supreme Mariner

The motor manufactures are recommending 10 um filters. The cheaper filters are 28 um so that makes the decision pretty easy.

The WM price is high. Those filters can be bought for quite a bit less if you look around. Also keep in mind that Racor makes replacement filters with the sight glass and drain to fit all the major filter heads

maxturbo

Petty Officer 2nd Class

I have the sierra one also with the drain bowl. One of the best investments you can buy. West Marine way to expensive shop around.

rob711

Petty Officer 1st Class

i currently do not have a fuel/waterseperator on my boat...i did however take one off a boat that i salvaged a while ago...the motor was a 1984 90hp johnson...is there any reason why i cant install it on my 2005 115hp efi merc. except for the people that notice it says OMC on it why not..to me its just a bracket that the fuel filter screws onto..i think it has that plastic bottom so i can drain it..

j442w30

Petty Officer 1st Class

I don't see why not, just change the filter.