Fuel pump check valves.

shelbert

Cadet
Again it seems I come here confused. I have a 1962 mercury 110 that I am going through, I am trying to check the check valves in the fuel pump.<br /><br />They apear to work ok when i blow through the pump in the direction of fuel, and stop the flow against the flow. I was going to inspect them anyway for problems, but i cannot figure out how to get them out of the pump. I certainly dont want to break anything in the process and my documentation is very unhelpfull in the process.

Ben Konopacky

Petty Officer 1st Class
Re: Fuel pump check valves.

there are 2 screws holding a retainer that hold the check valves & gaskets in place.

shelbert

Cadet

I dont see where any screws could be the pump part that holds the valves in place is a solid piece of aluminum with a gas channel through it with 2 3/16" holes in it for the suction to pump the diaphram. The check valves can be seen if you look into the inlet or outlet hole of the housing. I see no way to remove them besides through the inlet or outlet nozzle. And I dont really see any way through there besides maybe pressing them out with force, and I imagine i will break them that way.

Ben Konopacky

Petty Officer 1st Class

Shelbert; this fuel pump must be an aftermarket replacement pt. my 3 merc's all had the retainers.must be something new (pressed in)saves prod. cost ,consumer has to replace whole unit not just valves and diaphragm.