fuel problem

byeager10

Cadet
i have a reman merc 115 85 prior to that motor i had a 70 hp mercury outboard.both engines are in excellent condition.but im having the same old problem.everytime i accelerate they die i have to keep pumpinp the ball for more gas they both idle fine its only when i give wot they bog down and die.im alwys havig to do something with the fuel line.all the connections and the line to the motor are new.

Solittle

Fleet Admiral
Re: fuel problem

the same old problem is often fixed by the same old solution - rebuild the carbs.

JB

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

Moving to Merc Outboard Troubles.

achris

More fish than mountain goat

byeager,<br /><br />If you're having the exactly the same problem with both engines, what's common here? The fuel tank? have you tried a different tank or checking the fuel system with a vacuum gauge? There's a post on this forum (somewhere, I lose track sometimes) that details how it's done quite well.<br /><br />Chris.........

jim dozier

Lieutenant Commander

I would have said rebuild the fuel pump, but if you had the same problem with the other engine, it may be more likely the tank pickup or anti-siphon valve or a vent. Check them all.

Arnold96

Petty Officer 3rd Class

Don't forget a stopped up filter or the check valve that is right at the tank. A $2 fitting in place of a sticky old check valve, or a new filter could save a $1000 carb rebuild.