From Force to Yamaha repower question??

voodoochikin

Petty Officer 2nd Class
1990 bayliner capri, 90hp force outboard.

I've asked repower questions in the past about a v-6 merc and lately about a 120hp force outboard. But i've been searching once again for a different outboard to replace the 1990 90hp force engine. I found a 1997 Yamaha V4 115hp outboard.

Would this be a considerable improvement over the 90hp force engine? better on gas? a lot worse on gas? difficult to mount to my transom? Im looking for opinions and ideas about this engine on my boat.

Why do I want to repower? A little more umph basically. Better quality engine that i can have some confidence in.

jerryjerry05

Supreme Mariner
Re: From Force to Yamaha repower question??

Little better on gas,better performance than the 90.
Down side,will need a different shifter,cables,wiring,guages.
The mounting holes will need to be filled and re-drilled.
The difference between the 90 and 120Force is a LOT!!
Will be an easy swap.Unhook and replace with the 120
The 120 won't be that much harder on gas.You have to push the 90 The 120 will work less for the same results.
Where you located?I'll help.

voodoochikin

Petty Officer 2nd Class

the 120hp force engine I inquired about a couple weeks ago is a no go. my new inquiry is about this 1997 yamaha V4 115hp engine, comes with all controls. its currently on a boat and the transom couldnt withstand this motor. originally had a 85hp...someone installed the yamaha and now transom is busted. guy wants to repower with a smaller outboard. Possible trade with my 90hp plus cash. im located in Norfolk, NE

Edit*** Would it be in my best interest to just search for a 120hp force due to ease of swap? will I really notice that much of a difference on my 18ft capri?

Last edited:

rolmops

Vice Admiral

The 120 Force is an easier swap, but the yamaha is the better engine. The farther you are away from the 1990s force engines the better!
( the 1980s force engines are very good)

jerryjerry05

Supreme Mariner

The 120 would make a big difference 30hp is abig kick.
You boat rated for a 120?
What's the difference in the 90's compared to the 80?
Same block for all the engines.The only difference is the later years used Merc electrics and the lower units?
The trim motors from Merc are better and easier to replace.

voodoochikin

Petty Officer 2nd Class

I've seen exact same boats with 120's, 125's, and 150hp outboards. Im gonna say it will handle it. I have a hard time believing that the whole boat is identicle except a heavier transom on models getting the 120 or 150 engine... but who knows i guess.

Update-

I have found a 120hp force with controlls for the same price and same distance as the yamaha 115. Im just not sure which one to fully pursue.

Last edited:

jasonbailey

Petty Officer 1st Class

I've seen exact same boats with 120's, 125's, and 150hp outboards. Im gonna say it will handle it. I have a hard time believing that the whole boat is identicle except a heavier transom on models getting the 120 or 150 engine... but who knows i guess.

Update-

I have found a 120hp force with controlls for the same price and same distance as the yamaha 115. Im just not sure which one to fully pursue.

Whichever has better compression.

voodoochikin

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Might have found a new direction!! The yamah and force120 are 6hrs away.. loooooong drive. Just found a 1985 mark twain boat with an EVINRUDE 140hp outboard for $1000... whole boat. What is the concensus on THIS motor???

ezmobee

Supreme Mariner

Might have found a new direction!! The yamah and force120 are 6hrs away.. loooooong drive. Just found a 1985 mark twain boat with an EVINRUDE 140hp outboard for $1000... whole boat. What is the concensus on THIS motor???

That's a kick *** motor. Fair price too!