Four Winns project

TN Boater

Cadet
I have a 91 265 vista. The boat came with the 460 KC and no outdrive. I paid $0 for the boat so I'm ahead of the game. Getting an outdrive is out of the question. I do have another Boat with 5.8 OMC so can I swap the engine and outdrive package from one to the other that had the 460 or is the transom hole to big?.

Thanks.
james

Don S

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Re: Four Winns project

Same cutout.

HT32BSX115

Supreme Mariner

I have a 91 265 vista. The boat came with the 460 KC and no outdrive. I paid $0 for the boat so I'm ahead of the game. Getting an outdrive is out of the question. I do have another Boat with 5.8 OMC so can I swap the engine and outdrive package from one to the other that had the 460 or is the transom hole to big?.

Thanks.
james

Hi James,

Yeah, you'll have a hard time finding that particular King Cobra drive. There might be a Volvo DPS that could fit though. There is a guy here that either has done it or is doing it right now.

You'd still have the 460 which is really the biggest stumbling block. (no manifolds or coupler)

The transom cutout is standardized such that you can install a complete Volvo Penta or Mercruiser engine and drive (or any other OMC Cobra) if you can find one.

I would be a little leery of putting a 5.8L Cobra in ....... that is a big boat.......They put a Big Block in it for a reason.......A small block ford might not perform very well.

It will "fit" though. same drive cut-out.

I removed a 460 Dog-clutch King Cobra (1987) and replaced it with a 1997 Mercruiser 454/Bravo...... everything fit except for minor changes in the side-engine mounts.

Cheers,

Rick

TN Boater

Cadet

Thanks guys.

What would the motor (460KC) and gimble be worth if i sold it on craigslist? It has everything except the outdrive. The hour meter has 52 hour on it.

HT32BSX115

Supreme Mariner

It's worth what ever you can get out of it.

Someone has to want it. If it has a working Spitfire electronic ignition on it you might be able to remove it and sell it all by itself.

The coupler is also probably worth at least $200

I sold my gimbal for about $300........But I think I was lucky. I see them on ebay frequently with lower starting prices and no bids.....

I have seen 460's for sale on ebay from time to time but never saw any bids.

There's still a LOT of boats out there with 460's in them so someone will probably want it.

Good luck,

Rick

TN Boater

Cadet

ok so here is a thought. I saw a jet boat with a 460. so is it possible to put a jet drive on this and keep the 460. just keeping all my options open.

Bondo

Staff member

Ayuh,.... The Swap factor will be Much more effort, with greater chance of Failure goin' with a Jet....
And,...
The 460 is the Problem anyways....

HT32BSX115

Supreme Mariner

The 460 is used and has been used for years with jet pumps.....

You could do that if you had a boat with a jet in it.

A 26ft cruiser might not even plane with a 460/jet in it though and would probably use so much gas that you'd not want to run it much.

You would still have the same problem of the 460 and the enormously expensive exhaust system.