Four Winns Fling - OMC 115 Turbojet - Cold Start Issues

yakesm72

Cadet
Anyone have a good method for coldstarting this engine. Owner's manual says to "Depress the warm up knob". I'm not sure where this is or if it even exists.

My normal startup method is with the boat tied to the dock:

1. turn blower on (wait)
2. turn key to position 1 to prime the carbs with the fuel pump (no bulb).
3. Neutral safety off depress and push to full forward.
4. Turn and push key to choke.
5. Motor starts in 5-10 seconds.
6. Gag and wait for smoke to clear
7. begin untying from dock.
8. Put boat in Nuetral Idle.
9. Repeat steps 3-8 until it actually catches and runs.

Any advice on being able to run this motor cold at idle in neutral would be appreciated by the next guy at the launch ramp waiting for me to get out of his way.

gavdawg

Cadet
Re: Four Winns Fling - OMC 115 Turbojet - Cold Start Issues

Anyone have a good method for coldstarting this engine. Owner's manual says to "Depress the warm up knob". I'm not sure where this is or if it even exists.

the warm up knob is in the engine compartment to the left of the motor. It looks like a stubby primer bulb, with a pea sized button in the center.

1) Press this a couple times
2) use the throttle lock (black button on the throttle lever), and advance the throttle about 3/4 of the way up
3) choke is activated by pressing the key in. Choke until the engine starts
4) If the engine starts to stall, press the key in and rapidly release to quickly choke
5) throttle back as engine warms up.

gavdawg

Cadet

and obviously run the blower

stanner6909

Recruit

Just bought a four winns fling and found the manuals so I am getting them next week
a part is missing from the boat it is on the rear sun deck on the engine compartment lid round abourt 4 inches does any one know where to get one? whatis it called? never have posted to a forum so apologize if this is not correctly done

1. turn blower on (wait)
2. turn key to position 1 to prime the carbs with the fuel pump (no bulb).
3. Neutral safety off depress and push to full forward.
4. Turn and push key to choke.
5. Motor starts in 5-10 seconds.
6. Gag and wait for smoke to clear
7. begin untying from dock.
8. Put boat in Nuetral Idle.
9. Repeat steps 3-8 until it actually catches and runs.

Any advice on being able to run this motor cold at idle in neutral would be appreciated by the next guy at the launch ramp waiting for me to get out of his way.[/QUOTE]

bookman10

Recruit

Just bought a four winns fling and found the manuals so I am getting them next week
a part is missing from the boat it is on the rear sun deck on the engine compartment lid round abourt 4 inches does any one know where to get one? whatis it called? never have posted to a forum so apologize if this is not correctly done

**You are missing the engine compartment latch. It has a ring that lifts up that you turn to unlock the compartment.

Any advice on being able to run this motor cold at idle in neutral would be appreciated by the next guy at the launch ramp waiting for me to get out of his way.
[/QUOTE]

***My Fling was hard for me to start at first, so I tried a lot things. The best thing that works for me is to unlock the throttle (press the round button at the bottom of the arm) and push it about half way open. Turn the key and press it in a few times, then start. I have had the motor start right away like this.

In spite of what people say, this boat is a lot of fun. Everyone that rides on it thinks it is a gas.

stanner6909

Recruit

Thanks for the help on this site.
M y four winns fling is located at high altitude. 4300ft. It came from Pheonix. With 2 adults average size and 2 9 year olds 75 lbs each the boat will not plane out or go above 13 mph. I have had the impeller reworked and the spark plugs replaced and fuel pump cleaned. Still not much improvement. I have heard there is a procedure for adjusting the carbureator for high altitude but cannot locate the steps to do so. Any ideas or help would be most appreciated.
The winterizing steps would be helpful too.