forward and reverse oposite

I have an side mount Johnson control and an 1985 175 Johnson outboard<br />When I hook up the controls they are back wards pushing the control forward I go into reverse and when I pull the control all the way to the rear I go forward<br />Is there a way to reverse the control? <br />I identified the proper cables by putting the control in newtrol and observing which cable moved when engaging the warm up lever?<br />Thanks for any help

DHPMARINE

Captain
Re: forward and reverse oposite

The cable that moved with the warmup lever goes to the throttle (carb) linkage.<br />Disconnect both cables at the engine.Disreguard the warm up mode.Move the remote control into forward.The cable that moved is the shift. (you have to be in gear first,then accelerate)<br />DHP

walleyehed

Admiral

This is mostlikely a stupid question but have you changed props recently?????

RICK8370HP

Cadet

Originally posted by commissioner2:<br /> I have an side mount Johnson control and an 1985 175 Johnson outboard<br />When I hook up the controls they are back wards pushing the control forward I go into reverse and when I pull the control all the way to the rear I go forward<br />Is there a way to reverse the control? <br />I identified the proper cables by putting the control in newtrol and observing which cable moved when engaging the warm up lever?<br />Thanks for any help

RICK8370HP

Cadet

seems like your linkage at the motor is hooked up wrong.<br />You should verify that first

walleyehed

Admiral

I believe that is what DHP is trying to explain...<br />The reason I asked about the prop is because I've seen 2 this year where guys bought used props and they were left-hand rotation...one even went to an on-shore marina and THEY didn't catch it either and proceded to tear the control box apart. Had it not been for another customer quizing why a counter-rotating single engine, I don't know how far they would have went...

no I haven't changed props <br />and the throtle should be the only thing that moves at warm up and I have that right<br />My contro works fine except you pull it back to go formard and you push it head to go in reverse<br />This is oposite of what the decals on top of the handel tell me<br />Is the location of forward and reverse different on different year motors?<br />Has anyone successfully reversed a control?

D

DJ

If you have a side mount OMC control box, the handle can go on either side. Remove it and install on the other side.

Walker

Captain

Switching sides with the control arm won't solve your problem. It still will move the shift cable the same directions. All I can think of is either your shift box is not compatible with your motor or you are missing some shift linkage on the motor.

OBJ

Supreme Mariner

Commissioner....maybe a little history on the problem would help. New to you motor, change out lower units, control cable change out.....anything would help.