FORCE 70HP BATTERY CHARGING

baboon bum

Seaman Apprentice
IS MY UNIT FALLING APART HERE ONE THING AFTER ANOTHER NOW THE BATTERY AINT CHARGING HOW MUCH AM I TALKING ABOUT IN FIXING THIS AND WHAT PARTS DO I TEST/<br />NO DOLLER PRICES PLEASE IM SCOTTISH

roscoe

Supreme Mariner
Re: FORCE 70HP BATTERY CHARGING

You may have a loose wiring connector.<br />Highly likely that the voltage rectifier/regulator has went out. <br />It is a 5cm square block with 4 wires coming out of it. It is located on the starboard side, top aft portion of the motor.<br /><br />The two yellow wires come from the stator into the rectifier.<br />THe gray wire goes out to the tachometer.<br />THe red wire goes out, to the battery +, to charge the battery.

harkawy

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Roscoe:<br /><br />I have a 1996 Force 70. Based upon your info to baboon bum, it sounds like I have the same problem. My voltage gage goes to zero at the bottom when the key is off and goes to 10 volts when the key is on. It doesn't move: either when starting the engine or when it is is at 4000 rpm. I have two batteries connected to each other via a switch. Off, battery 1, both, battery 2. <br /><br />Question: Do you know what the part number is for the voltage regulator? And almost as important, what the price for a replacement be in US $.<br /><br />Thank you

roscoe

Supreme Mariner

First things first.<br />Welcome to iboats.<br />Determine the year of your motor.<br />The 70hp Mercury Force was made from 1991-1995.<br />Posting the serial number here may get you an answer on the year.<br /><br />Parts for your motor are available from any Merc dealer, from mercuiserparts.com, or from other online outlets. Some may carry aftermarket parts that will work, and save you some money. Or try NAPA auto parts store, they have a marine parts catalog too.<br /><br />If your serial number is between OE000001 and OE009499, you need Mercury part number 830179A2.<br /><br />If your serial number is between OE009500 and OZ999999, you need part number 883071A1.<br /><br />Both are about $130 from Merc.<br /><br />maxrules.com has an aftermarket for $86<br />part number 194-5279 or 194-5279r

harkawy

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Roscoe,<br />Thank you for your prompt response, and thank you for the welcome.<br /><br />Based upon your directions to the location of the voltage regulator, I was able to get the original part number which was stamped on it. I then went to mercurymarine and did a search on the number. Their web site gave me a new number for the part. I contacted a local marine dealer and they ordered the part for me. I should have it within a few days.<br /><br />Since you stated in your response to baboom bum, that <br />"The gray wire goes out to the tachometer.<br />The red wire goes out, to the battery +, to charge the battery."<br />Since the tach functions, it seems to me that the charge for the battery(s) should also function. I'm going to trace the red wire from the connector to the regulator out, to see if it might be disconnected somewhere. Since I don't see any wire other than the 0 gauge power line going to the battery, I'm guessing that the red regulator wire is connected somewhere within the engine compartment to the main battery power line. If you have any thoughts on this, I'm always open to suggestions for those who are "in the know."<br /><br />Thank you again for your prompt support!

harkawy

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Roscoe,<br /><br />I traced the solid red wire from the regulator, through the wire harness to a plastic connector under the dashboard. There it it joined with red-blue stripe wire. The other end via the connector goes to the ignition switch. I can't see any breaks in the wire, so I'm hoping the problem is just the regulator, even though the tach functions.<br /><br />Any assistance would be appreciated.<br /><br />Harvey