Force 125 1980 something.. Rectifier? Spark when connecting battery

pastorbud

Chief Petty Officer
I am on vacation about 3 hours from my real tools. I took the battery out just to get it to my charger (extension cord won’t reach at our rental) and when I re-installed it sparked at the battery post as I was reconnecting the battery cables.

I had never seen that before and assumed I must have left a device on somewhere. But with everything shut down, I still got a spark. I disconnected components under the hood one at a time and traced it to the red wire going to the rectifier. If that wire is disconnected, I get no spark when connecting the battery.

With the red rectifier wire disconnected I get voltage from the red wire to the positive post on the rectifier. Looks like the positive post is shorting straight to ground.

This doesn’t seem normal. Am I missing something? No multimeter with me, just a 12 volt voltage tester, with incandescent bulb.

dingbat

Supreme Mariner
I am on vacation about 3 hours from my real tools. I took the battery out just to get it to my charger (extension cord won’t reach at our rental) and when I re-installed it sparked at the battery post as I was reconnecting the battery cables.

I had never seen that before and assumed I must have left a device on somewhere. But with everything shut down, I still got a spark. I disconnected components under the hood one at a time and traced it to the red wire going to the rectifier. If that wire is disconnected, I get no spark when connecting the battery.

With the red rectifier wire disconnected I get voltage from the red wire to the positive post on the rectifier. Looks like the positive post is shorting straight to ground.

This doesn’t seem normal. Am I missing something? No multimeter with me, just a 12 volt voltage tester, with incandescent bulb.
According to the attached wiring diagram, the red wire goes to the Ignition switch.

Is your key on?