force 120 won't start after flooding the carbs

1990_Bayliner

Seaman Apprentice
I had this boat for about 4 months now and it ran like a champ until I started experienceing starting problems. I do not use the boat these days so I try to start it every 2 weeks and run it at home with water hooked up to the engine for 5-10 min. Last time I started it, it had hard time starting and I ran the boat for 5 minutes shut it off. Two weeks went by and now I tried to start the boat nothing..... after multiple attempts and choke I believe I flooded the engine. So i took the plugs out dried them off.... tried again.... nothing. I took both of the carbs off and sprayed carb cleaner through the ports, flushed the carbs and inspected the floats etc... I cleaned the fuel filter and put everything back to gether and squeezed some fuel into the engine then tried to start ....and nothing. I do not know what else to do I troubleshooted the fuel and nothing. Is there anything else I can try? Thanx for you help!

1990_Bayliner

jay2670

Cadet
Re: force 120 won't start after flooding the carbs

Hello First thing I would do is check to see if you have good spark on all cylinders and ensure you have fuel.

1990_Bayliner

Seaman Apprentice

I never really worked with outboards, would you mind to elaborate on the subject matter "checking the spark on all cylinders" a proper procedure? Thanx and yes there is plenty of fuel.

jerryjerry05

Supreme Mariner

Spark testers are available at any auto store.Get the inline testers as they will work with the motor running.On-line company called Tool Fetch 1-800-508-4735 Tool Aid 23920 In-Line Spark Checker with 90? Boot Part # TA23920This will work.
Also invest in a GOOD compression tester.Do a comp test.
Something I found that would help start stubborn motors.
Prime the bulb,tilt the motor all the way up.Push in the choke and turn the key.When it pops or coughs stop.Let motor down and then try to start(no choke)Make sure the hose doesn't come off when you tilt.
There is a starting fluid with cylinder lube you might have to use that.J

1990_Bayliner

Seaman Apprentice

Spark testers are available at any auto store.Get the inline testers as they will work with the motor running.On-line company called Tool Fetch 1-800-508-4735 Tool Aid 23920 In-Line Spark Checker with 90? Boot Part # TA23920This will work.
Also invest in a GOOD compression tester.Do a comp test.
Something I found that would help start stubborn motors.
Prime the bulb,tilt the motor all the way up.Push in the choke and turn the key.When it pops or coughs stop.Let motor down and then try to start(no choke)Make sure the hose doesn't come off when you tilt.
There is a starting fluid with cylinder lube you might have to use that.J

Perfect Thanx for the info. I will try that and see what happens.