For Lubedude- Synthetic Oil for New OB?

Jeff Peacock

Seaman
Hi- I'm specifically looking for Lubedude's thoughts on this because I've seen quite a bit of his thoughts on oils in other postings, but was unable to find an answer for my specific question. My wife and I have just bought a brand new Merc 50 HP, and I'm wondering if I should switch to full Synth with this OB. I've seen in some of the postings that it can be difficult to switch to Synthetic with an older engine, so should I just make the switch now? The motor we have now is oil injected, and came from the dealer with TC-W3 oil. Thanks for the advice, from Lubedude or anyone else who'd like to comment!

LubeDude

Admiral
Re: For Lubedude- Synthetic Oil for New OB?

Is this new motor a 4 cycle? Im a bit confused.

LubeDude

Admiral

Thanks, I had a reply all typed up, but then I thought it might be a four stroke.<br /><br />Well, anyway, I would break the engine in as per manufactures reccomendation, usually a mix of 50:1 in the tank along with the injection for a specifies amout of hours, Then I would run a tank of gas through it with just the injection untill I had most of the oil mix out of the gas, then fill with fresh gas and dump the old oil out. No need to sanitize, the synthetic you chose will mix fine. Make sure you use a TC-W3 oil for the warantee period as it would make arguing easier if there were to be a problem. Then fill with the synthetic and run the engine easy for a few minutes, Maye ten or so, then go for it. You will not be sorry you did.

Jeff Peacock

Seaman

Good deal, thanks Lubedude. That's what I figured on doing, but I thought I'd check with someone who knows quite a bit more than I. Can I ask one more thing- why run it easy for 10 minutes? Does that allow the oil to circulate and coat properly? Thanks again.

quantumleap

Master Chief Petty Officer

No, it's so you can enjoy the last 10 minutes with your boat before the motor seizes up! Just kiddin' Lube Dude!!! :D :D

LubeDude

Admiral

Thats good quantumleap :D LMAO! <br /><br />Its probably not secesary at all, I just like to let the new oil replace the old before pushing it, No scientific reason.