Fogging with 10W30 oil

Franco_boater

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Hello
I have a question during my winterisation process I forgot my fogging oil and I wanted to do that for the winter. So I’ve poured some 10w30 through the carb now I’m wondering if it was just ok? I’ve just poured throug the bottle directly I didn’t have any spray or Syringe . I put maybe 30-50ml max

Best regards

Simoniz

Petty Officer 1st Class
Thats what I always do, run the hot engine at a fast idle and pour 50ml or so of TCW3 2 stroke oil down the carb, till the exhaust smokes like they have elected a pope.

Scott06

Admiral
Hello
I have a question during my winterisation process I forgot my fogging oil and I wanted to do that for the winter. So I’ve poured some 10w30 through the carb now I’m wondering if it was just ok? I’ve just poured throug the bottle directly I didn’t have any spray or Syringe . I put maybe 30-50ml max

Best regards
Sure this is fine. In the old days I used to squirt oil in through the spark plugs holes and bump the engine with coil disconnected.

I also have done nothing some years and that is ok too, the engine will not be damaged if it sits without fogging for a couple months.

Scott Danforth

Grumpy Vintage Moderator still playing with boats
Staff member
Just pouring oil in the intake means oil is pooled in the intake. Depending on what side of the carb you poured it into, you may have fogged cylinders 1, 4, 6, and 7, or 2, 3, 5, and 8.

Putting a few CCs in each cylinder and spinning would do a better job

Chris1956

Supreme Mariner
4 cycle multi-vis detergent motor oils have metallic additives. Metallic additives are not good for combustion in engines. That is why they are NOT mixed with gasoline for 2 cycle motors. 2 cycle oil or non detergent straight weight motor oil (if you can find it) is acceptable to fog or oil the cylinders.