Fogging Oil Question

Crossflow235

Cadet
I have a question about fogging oil. Season is drawing to a close soon and time to think about winterizing motor. <br /><br />Was at the marine store and noitced the cost of fogging oil.. Ouch!! I know its necessary but, why can't a person just use a spray bottle and spray a fine mist of their outboard oil into motor instead?<br />With the cost per can of fogging oil a person could easlily buy a quart of oil and have some spare to use in the fuel at future time.<br /><br />I would of course also remove plugs and spray some in each cylinder and hand turn it over a few times, after spraying oil mist into a running motor.<br /><br />Would this work?? Sorry for the long post.<br /><br />SRP71

Hooty

Rear Admiral
Re: Fogging Oil Question

Would this work? Probably. Would I risk an engine that's worth several thousand dollars just to save a coupla skins skimpin' on foggin oil? Whada you think? ;) <br /><br />c/6<br />Hooty

Snowdrggn

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Fogging oil can also be purchased at auto supply stores often at a lower cost. the one I use is made by "CRC" and is quite a bit cheaper than any I have seen at the "marine" dealers. As for fogging an engine, I would NEVER store one with out fogging it!!! I only run smaller OMC engines and I require extreme reliability out of them. Anything I can do to prolong the life and durability of them, no matter what their age, I will do.<br /> Are the cheapest oils always the best thing to run in any mechanical item? Does the cheapest peanut butter taste the best?<br /><br />I think scrimping on quality (doesn't mean buying the most expensive or cheapest) tends to be "false economy" <br /><br />Would you not change your leg oil because there is only a "little bit" of water in it?<br /><br />Sorry, but my only way of winterizing an engine is to run fuel with stabilizer in it through the system, pull the fuel line and as it it running out of fuel, fog it out heavily and let it quit on the fogging oil. Change the lower unit oil, remove prop, check for fishing line and grease the prop shaft. Lubricate all wear points, linkages etc. The last thing I do is wash and wax the paint work and wipe down all exposed metal parts with a light oil like WD 40. The motors are then stored in a sheltered area in an upright and secured position.<br /><br /> My motors have always served me well getting only regular, although meticulous, maintainance.<br /><br /> I'm not going to advise you as to which brands of lubricants you should use, only to use products that have a proven history as being good quality. Having your motor become part of a research project for a new or unknown product line is not my idea of a good personal investment! The small amount you may save seldom offsets the cost of a premature engine failure in my mind :)

WillyBWright

Fleet Admiral

Actually I've come to like the idea of using 2-stroke oil for winter lay-ups. You have it anyhow and although it seems fairly thin, it sticks well. For longer periods (and you never know when circumstances will make that happen), fogging oil is better. It's usually under $10 and you can use one can to fog your motor for several years. Lawnmower, snowthrower, weed-whacker, chainsaw, snowmobile, motorcycle, car, etc. You'll find use for it.<br /><br />Now, it also depends on what outboard you are winterizing. Optimax motors don't use fogging oil. The company is concerned with it getting into the injectors and gumming things up. That would be true of other direct injection motors with air compressors (Ficht motors wouldn't apply). They want 2-stroke shot into the sparkplug holes.<br /><br />Snowdrggn mentions allowing the motor to run out of gas. Only on motors that don't have oil injection where it mixes with the gas. As the gas runs out, the oil is still pumping and the fuel system can get pretty soupy with oil. If there isn't any gas in there, it can't varnish. So if you have such an injected motor, draining the carbs would be a better idea.

BoatBuoy

Rear Admiral

Is DeepCreep considered a fogging oil or just a de-carb agent.

Crossflow235

Cadet

Thanks for the advice, I will use fogging oil. Just was curious if something else would work as good as fogging oil.<br /><br />Appreciate the help<br /><br />SRP71

NOSLEEP

Commander

Using 2 stroke tc-w3 as a fogging oil is an<br />excellent inhibitor. And will protect your engine<br />as well as any other.

Drowned Rat

Captain

By Middleground<br /><br />DeepCreep is a spray decarbonizer, like OMC Engine Tune. It is not for fogging.<br />
It's not?<br /><br />It says on the can it should be used for storing motors in addition to de-carbing.<br /><br />Just curious, this is what I've been using for years. I always thought it was the same thing.

BoatBuoy

Rear Admiral

WillyBWright, NOSLEEP,<br /> To use the TC-W3, do you spray it into the carb throat from something like a Windex bottle?

dajohnson53

Lieutenant Commander

Just to reiterate a previous post - you can get "generic" (meaning really generic as well as major, non marine brands such as Pennzoil) fogging oil at any place that sells boat supplies at all - e.g. Walmart, Kmart, local hardware store, autoparts stores etc. So if it's sticker shock from the Johnnyrude brand at your boat store, that's getting you, there are alternatives.

NOSLEEP

Commander

I dont know if you could get the oil to spray <br />through a windex bottle, but thats the idea.<br />Try a oilcan pump and direct it into the carb<br />throat past the venturies.

sikpnter

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Hmmm lets see <br /><br />omc fogging oil $8.99<br /><br />rebuild motor $4000.00<br /><br />hmm

NOSLEEP

Commander

Whats the rebuild for sikpnter.<br />are you paranoid, or just not sure how fogging<br />works.

ED21

Master Chief Petty Officer

Don't forget you can get the Bombardier oil w/ the schraeder valve fitting if your engine has it.

Cricket Too

Lieutenant Commander

The reason there is fogging oil at all is for storing motors. I would think if you used 2 stroke it would just burn away, fogging oil will to some degree, but it coats thickly as it does, use it and you will have no problems, use the tuner(decarb) in the spring and you'll be fine. Also what is the point of treating your fuel and then running it through the carbs if your just gonna pull the gas line and let it run out? Not to mention that when you do this and it does start to run out you are creating a lean mixture and not protecting the engine as well, I know that it won't matter much at idle but, if you treat it letting it sit in the carbs isn't gonna hurt for a couple of months, the varnish will be minimal with the fuel treatment in there. Willy is correct about how long the can will last you also, you'll get 2 or 3 winterizing's out of 1 can, not bad for $3 a season.

sikpnter

Petty Officer 2nd Class

I am paranoid because I have paid for a rebuild and I know exactly how fogging oil works. Ive learned that a couple of bucks spent now will save you thousands later.

NOSLEEP

Commander

My new Evinrude e-tec has a great feature. It <br />foggs itself. I can just winterize it on my last<br />trip out on the water.It also uses tc-w3 for the<br />fogging.I dont have to do anything just follow<br />the winterization procedure outlined in the owners<br />manual and it will go to fast idle and fog itself.<br />NICE.

Snowdrggn

Petty Officer 2nd Class

mmcpeck,<br /> The reason I run stabilizer through the engine even though I pull the line and run it out of fuel is so that any residual fuel that is left is mixed with stabilizer to reduce "gumming"<br /><br /><br /> As for the lean condition when my motor is running out of fuel..... My post clearly stated that as the motor is running out of fuel I fog it heavily and let it quit on the fogging oil. <br /><br />I fully understand that this would create a lean fuel/air ratio, but fail to understand how what I have just done leaves the engine unprotected as I have just flooded it to death using and extremely rich fogging oil/air ratio (to the point that the fogging oil is dripping out the exhaust) An outboard will stay running on fogging oil alone given a rational misture with air, but since I exceed that ratio the fogging oil essentially "flooded" the engine to the point of quitting. If I am leaving my engine unprotected could you please explain why I would be finding the following items wet with fogging oil: reed plate, spark plugs, piston tops, and exhaust tuner? I can only assume that the crankshaft and bearings got covered as the fogging oil went through the engine, unless fogging oil sprayed into the carb throat takes a different path to the exhaust tube than the normal fuel/air mixture does from the carb? Preseason startup shows evidence of oil loading. (Snow make big smoke, neighbours no like smoke, or snow at that point in time :) )<br /><br />As for fuel not being a problem for a couple of months, my STORAGE time is SEVEN MONTHS, and I am usually out as soon as most of the ice is gone off the lakes, and one of the last ones to pack up for the season. I was out today and the HIGH temp was 38 degrees farenheit.<br /><br />To those who are not premix/carb, I apologize for my obvious ignorance of your requirements as I only run premix/carb engines (smaller hp)<br /><br />To those that feel it important to find error in my procedures, please feel free to correct me as I strive to take the best care possible of my engines and have them be as reliable as possible.<br /><br /> In close to 30 years on the water I have never been towed (pushed back on the kicker a few times though on earlier boats), But have towed in many boats, usually due to lack of proper maintainance, or poor preperation.<br /><br /> "After all if it sort of ran okay at the end of last season, it will be fine this year. Right? Right?" ( Buddy with half the beer cooler ingested usually agrees here)<br /><br />"Why do you think I should carry spares, do you think I'm going to have a flat on the water?" (half drunk buddy laughs here)<br /><br />But hey, it takes all kinds!<br /><br />Cheers,<br /> Snow.<br /><br />*I'm not a complete idiot, I have parts missing*

Snowdrggn

Petty Officer 2nd Class

NOSLEEP, That is a cool feature!<br /><br />If a person anticipates not using it for a few weeks, fog it out to protect it all the more.....<br /><br />I like it!!!<br /><br />Cheers,<br /> Snow.

Mark42

Fleet Admiral

I fogged the '93 Evinrude 40 this past weekend. Used the connection on the choke solenoid. Warmed up the motor good, the followed the directions on the can. After I was done, I found a small puddle of thick icky black stuff on the drivway that had dripped out of the through-hub exhaust. <br /><br />The motor has only used 50 gallons of gas max since its re-build so it should be rather clean.<br /><br />Think I used too much fogger?