flywheel/top bearing play

vissertrades

Petty Officer 3rd Class
Hi all,<br /><br />I've noticed some play in my '95 50hp Johnsons flywheel/top bearing. There is no play side to side but some fore and aft. It has been there since I bought the engine last spring. I did some online searching and came up with loose top bearing bolts as a possible cause, I found OMC even had a TSB on the subject for some models. So, I was able to tighten those two bolt with a small 5" long 1/4" ratchet. I tightened them only to the point I felt the 1/4" ratchet could handle. I think the torque is fairly close to spec 20ftlbs as It felt like 40-50lbs on that small ratchet. I don't have a small enough torque wrench to get at those bolts. Play went away! Flywheel turns fine. Should I check the other bolts? Should I pull the top two bolts and use loctite? Should I worry that the bolt torque may not be perfect?<br /><br />Thanks!

Hooty

Rear Admiral
Re: flywheel/top bearing play

I'm guessing these bolts are under the flywheel and that little wrench is the only way you can reach 'um. I'd pull the flywheel, Loctite and torque the bolts properly. Pulling the flywheel is no biggie. <br /><br />c/6<br />Hooty

vissertrades

Petty Officer 3rd Class

Thanks Hooty, That's good advise! Do you think I should do the same with the other main bearing bolts? It's funny that my OMC service manual make no reference to loctite on these bolts, I wonder if that has changed since the TSB for loosening bolts? Are you aware of this TSB and do you know if my model was affected? I do have a 50/50 warranty on this motor until the end of next season, maybe I'll have them deal with this!

vissertrades

Petty Officer 3rd Class

I wonder if this is related to the crank/bearing play: The first time I ran this engine on my boat it ran great for 15 minutes and then bogged down, stalled and wouldn't restart. I promptly went back to the dealer, they found the center magnet on the flywheel had broken loose. Could it have touched something with the flywheel moving about a 1/32" fore and aft? Maybe that looseness created a vibration? Makes me wonder!

Hooty

Rear Admiral

Hummm,<br />Tha 50/50 warranty might be the way to go if they'll do the work and not charge ya $300 (your part only $150). If you do the work, will it void the warranty?<br /><br />c/6<br />Hooty

vissertrades

Petty Officer 3rd Class

No, they would be fair, BUT, I did ask them to look at this play ealier in the season and the mechanic said it was ok! I just took his word for it, this was before I noticed that the play was only fore-aft, that got me think'n and by tigtening the upper main bolts 1/8 turn it eliminated that play. I should charge them $300!

Hooty

Rear Admiral

Remember, it's a 50/50 warranty. They'll pay you $150. Yeah, right. ;) <br /><br />c/6<br />Hooty