Fluids (locally)

SVFreddy

Cadet
Im eager to get the boat going by this weekend but still need to do all my summerizing.
Where can I get motor oil filter and gear lube locally? wally world? Pepboys? from what I understand, I cant run just any motor oil, It has to be marine grade?
I have a I/O mercruiser 3.0
Thanks for the input

Thanks for moving this to the proper section ;)

Don S

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Re: Fluids (locally)

You should have been changing all those fluids during winterization. Then if there was water in the gear lube or fuel you could find it then instead of letting it set in the units and mess things up all winter.

SVFreddy

Cadet

I did change them last fall but I payed someone to do it for me. Would like to do it myself and save some money and have it done this weekend instead of waiting on an already busy shop that probably wouldn't be able to have it done by then.

Thanks again

MarkSee

Lieutenant Junior Grade

I did change them last fall but I payed someone to do it for me. Would like to do it myself and save some money and have it done this weekend instead of waiting on an already busy shop that probably wouldn't be able to have it done by then.

Yep, same reasons I needed to start doing some of my own maintenance also.

A lot of threads already about oil and filter so no need to start up another one so you can research that but you can really never go wrong with what Merc. recommends.

The WallyWorlds around my area in SoCal do sell the Quicksilver hi-po gear lube and others have said their WW had Quicksilver oil there also but mine don't.

Do you already know/have what Merc. service manuals to use for the engine/drive? If not posting year/serial numbers will help.

Spent some time in the stickies starting to read up on stuff? If not, amazing collection of all kinds of great information Don compiled there; gives some of us enough courage to tackle more than just oil and lube changes.

Mark

HT32BSX115

Supreme Mariner

Thanks again

If you did it last Fall, you'll save even more money by waiting until this FALL to do it again.

There's no reason to change "fresh" oil unless you've been running it all winter.

SVFreddy

Cadet

If you did it last Fall, you'll save even more money by waiting until this FALL to do it again.

There's no reason to change "fresh" oil unless you've been running it all winter.
I was under the impression that you had to change all fluids in the fall for storage and again in the spring before use? Seemed dumb to me too. I could have been misinformed.

southkogs

Staff member

Know thy boat ...

You shouldn't have to change everything now if you did it before storage. Check levels, make sure there's nothing wrong with the lubes and enjoy. My boat will require a lower unit change in another month or so after we've run it a few more times. The upper, I'll just need to check levels and I won't need to change engine oil until we hit the fall.

HT32BSX115

Supreme Mariner

I was under the impression that you had to change all fluids in the fall for storage and again in the spring before use? Seemed dumb to me too. I could have been misinformed.

Yeah. Unless it's contaminated from some outside source, it doesn't "go bad" over winter, just sitting there!