First time to Havasu

gerds

Cadet
We have our first trip to Havasu planned for the first week of June. We are using a friends house, Im not sure of its location. We are looking to get a slip for the week. Any suggestions on which marina to use with regards to price per night, busy or slow marina, can I reserve it now, launch ramp? Sorry so many questions, thanks for whatever help you can give.
Georged:)

MRS

Commander
Re: First time to Havasu

Lake Havasu marina has the best ramp and slips but it can get very crowded I do not think you can reserver this far ahead but you should call them and check it out now. I know if you do a whole month they will let you do it early but for days you can only do it so far in advance.
the phone #s are (928)855-2159 & 1-800-734-7142 it can get crazy there but take your time and get your boat ready to launch before you are in the water at the ramp and it will go smooth at the time you are going it should not be to bad but you never know if you are going there during the week and not the weekend days it should be great. But the weekends there are a whole different world. I love Havasu but not on holidays to wild for me:^

MRS

Commander

(928) 855-2159 this is the number that should be in the first post but it kep adding the kool logo do not know why but it did.

MRS

Commander

alright do not know what is wrong but the cool icon is a #8

QC

Supreme Mariner

MRS,

The smiley comes from 8 followed by a ) thinks it's a 8 ) i.e. 8)

Anyway, the number is 928-855-2159 . . . 8)

gerds,

This is one of the reasons I asked where you boat in your other thread . . . MRS and I actually met at Havasu last year and I am probably gonna plan another iboats get together there for late March or early April. Keep checking in and between us we can probably get you any info you want for all of the Colorado River lakes and stretches . . .

Oh and depending on where your friend's house is there may be some other options, but MRS has you steered correctly. Here is the link to LHM: Lake Havasu Marina

Let us know what they say about a slip. I've given up on getting one for the weekend there, but you may be OK for mid-week. This is why we stay at The Nautical Inn even though it's expensive; you get to keep your boat on their beach in front of your room . . .

gerds

Cadet

Thanks for the help guys,

Admiral,
Last year we went out to Big Bear lake, Bass lake. We also did a couple of day outings here and there (Silverwood, Skinner). For the June trip we are doing a Friday to Friday. Trying to get out in March or April might be difficult for us, but please keep me up to date. The Nautical Inn sounds like the way to go if we didn't have a friends place to stay.

gerds

Cadet

Sorry QC, I was adressing you as Admiral. Sign of a true newbied:)

QC

Supreme Mariner

No prah dude. I've never been on Bass Lake although the wife has wanted to do that. If you can handle the heat, once you've been to the River Lakes, you'll never go back . . . I haven't launched in SoCal for almost 10 years except on the ocean.

Last year for the April deal we camped on Friday and Saturday night. Kids only missed one day of school. No pressure; there were only about five of us last year. I'll post something soon. Honkin' roscoe has beat me to the punch with his Wisconsin popcorn version though.

MRS

Commander

Hey what QC said about the Nautical is true it is are favorite place to stay the ramp can be a little tricky but it is not near as crowded as any other ramp around. QC a nother get together would be cool I think more people would go this time but I just need and reason to go to Havasu and I am there. If work projects do not get in the wayd:) Hope you had a Great Newyears and a better year.d:)

KRS

Banned

QC makes us all call him Admiral 8)

QC

Supreme Mariner

KMA KRS 8) You in this year?

KRS

Banned

:love: You bet! I missed out and that's not gonna happen again.

MRS

Commander

Just got back from Havasu it was coooold but we took the motorhome with the quads this time can`t what for some warmer (boat) weather. The wind never stopped but you know I just love the place I am going back in a few weeks taking the jon-boat to fish the reeds and shallow shore lines. Sunday someone caught a striper 27.lb.er !!!!

QC

Supreme Mariner

Awesome dude, I am missing it too and I was just there Thanksgiving. We need to talk about some dates soon. Last year we did April 1st I think. What about April 7 & 8 . . .

gerds

Cadet

Okay. The house situation fell through, so now we are looking for a hotel. The nautical Inn looks cool ( being able to beach the boat). Does anyone have experience with this hotel. Questions like; do you have to get one of the beach rooms to keep the boat on the beach, or is that available to any room you stay in? Any other hotel recommendations are appreciated.
Thanks, George

QC

Supreme Mariner

Here's my spin:

The Nautical is good on the beach from any room. There are only a few that you wouldn't be able to see your boat from. All rooms can leave their boat beached. The rooms on the backside of these are the ones that you can't see the boat from. This is the "cove" and is not the "beach" as it is referred to now. The "beach" is the best place for families, but I would not worry about that this time of year. In the summer and spring break, the cove is crazy . . .

Nautical%20cove%20re.jpg

This time of year I prefer the London Bridge Resort, because it has slips, and the water is cold. There are slips at the Nautical too, but those are not for overnight. The wife makes me carry her to the boat (Which is no problem dear . . . ). Since nobody really wants to get their feet wet and sandy, the London Bridge Resort is simply easier.

Slip%20and%20Bridge%20re.jpg

I just checked Expedia and you cannot beat the rates at the Nautical . . . $69 - $79 . . . The LBR was $150 - $320.

Check into this thread gerds: Havasu iboats get together

SwampNut

Petty Officer 1st Class

Havasu is a zoo any time from spring through fall, but it's a nice lake too. Try to reserve everything as far in advance as possible.

Keep in mind that the city has passed a bunch of onerous anti-boater laws recently. There are some stupid ones, such as making it illegal for two boats to raft closer than 50 feet from another boat. Things to keep in mind if you're going to hook up with any others.

QC

Supreme Mariner

SwampNut,

There has been a lot of rumors regarding new ordinances in Havasu. Because I have family there, because I don't like "onerous" laws, and because I actually like the place, I have been trying to keep tabs on these "ordinances". I found the following quote on another site and have previously done a lot of searching to try and understand precisely what laws there are and aren't in regards to Havasu. Interestingly enough a city employee was actually posting on the thread I linked below and left his phone number . . . I just called him , and he has confirmed that the quote below which he posted 8-31-2006, is still valid. There is no city ordinance regarding rafting up, and he knows of no other regulatory authority which has adopted one. BTW, please check the link two posts above to this year's iboats West Get Together, would definitely like to meet up if you have interest.

Basically, three ordinances have been enacted or introduced that seem to be causing all the fuss. The "Offensive Conduct" ordinance makes being drunk in public a crime in LHC (state statutes do not). It also puts teeth into an officer's request for someone to cease behavior that is offensive to others. Another ordinance requires people riding in a boat in the Bridgewater Channel to ride in the passenger compartment while underway. A safety issue. The third ordinance limits mooring on the east side of the south Channel to 15 foot spacing. A measure that allows public safety officials to get to you if you are in trouble or breaking the law, and an alternative to prohibiting mooring alltogether.

These laws are designed to protect the safety and the enjoyment of those who recreate responsibly. If someone is so apalled by these ordinances that they go elsewhere, my guess is that those people will be quickly replaced by others who respect and appreciate those laws. <- my $.02

Another forum discussion on Havasu

SwampNut

Petty Officer 1st Class

That's an interesting post, and contrary to what I've read elsewhere. As usual, the truth is probably in between the two versions. If I consider another Havasu trip, I'll find the law and read it myself I guess.

MRS

Commander

Havasu is a great place to go we do not hang out at the bridge but we do cruise through it but only to look. The rangers that patrol the lake are great they do come up on are boat when we are fishing to check that we have what we should have and are always very nice. If you are not doing anything wrong there is never a problem but the problem seems to be with the ones that think they can do what ever they want to do. Just my 1/2 cents.d:) worth.