First time to drop a lower unit

Denis Kansier Sr.

Seaman Apprentice
I have a Force 50, and have read the manual, now I am ready to drop the lower unit to install<br /> a new impeller. With all the experience out there, I'd like to know if there are any 'tricks' or<br /> things not mentioned in the manual that you all can tell me to watch for. My mechanical skills<br /> are average, I have rebuilt auto engines before but an outboard is new to me. Kinda like first<br /> time jitters...<br /><br />Your input would be appreciated.

HowieDean

Seaman
Re: First time to drop a lower unit

It will be pretty straight forward...<br />Pick a gear to put it in and and don't move the shifter while you have the unit off...<br />I like to put them in FORWARD before I drop them...<br /><br />After you put the impeller on the shaft put a little grease on the sides of the vanes... besure to rotate the prop shaft Clockwise when you put the pump housing over the impeller... this will force the vanes to flex in the right direction...<br /><br />When you put it back on be sure the shift rod lines up.. you will probably have to rotate the prop a little to get the splines to line back up into the crank.... "that's why I like to put them in forward... the prop is easier to reach then the flywheel"<br /><br />Remeber never ever fire up the engine with out water for the pump.... Not even for just a second...<br /><br />Good Luck

KCLOST

Commander

Howie pretty much covered it all.<br /><br />I just rencently went through this, and I'll tell you a little about my experience...<br /><br />When I tried to re-install the lower unit, I had a **** of a time getting the lower and upper shift shafts to line up (the upper shaft moved over some when they were disconnected).... I don't know how much your engine differs from mine (50hp Merc) but make sure you line them up before you go pushing to hard. If they are not lined up you will push the upper shift shaft up and think they are connected when they are really not. You can tell if the upper shaft has moved up on you by looking at the shift linkage at the front base of the power head. You'll need someone to keep an eye on it while you are pushing the lower unit on. <br />Maybe your engine/shaft design won't cause you this problem... Just take a look at it and you'll know.

KCLOST

Commander

Denis Kansier Sr.

Seaman Apprentice

Thanks for the responses, all this will help keep my wits about me...I hope!!!