First time boat owner

gilligan60

Cadet
I have never owned a boat before besides a little 12 footer with a 6 hp motor 20 years ago, but I am in now the process of buying a 1994 Lund Pro DLX 1700 with a 90hp mercury motor. I am buying this from a female I know who is selling the boat after receiving it as part of a divorce settlement. The boat is in immaculate shape and I am getting a hell of a deal on it.

The problem I have is I know absolutely NOTHING about boats and motors this size. Unfortunately, neither does the female (or her boyfriend) that is selling it to me. So I have a couple questions that are pretty basic.

First of all, when I go pick up this boat (friday), I realize that the motor should be in the "up" position when I am towing it. This boat has a power trim and tilt, which I've never used before. Is there anything I need to know before I take off with this thing friday? Is there a mechanism that locks it in place in the up position, or does the power tilt just hold it in place?

Also, this one may seem really dumb, but what kind of oil do I use with the thing. She opened a little compartment on top of the motor and said that was where the oil went. That;s about as much as she knew about it. I didn't look at it very close, and she had no idea what kind of oil it took. How much oil do they burn? I'm used to mixing my oil and gas, so I have no idea how much oil it is expected to go through. Is it like a car, or will I be adding oil much more frequently?

There is also a livewell and some other buttons on the console that I will have to figure out, so I may be back for more help. Thanks much.

013-1.jpg

5150abf

Vice Admiral
Re: First time boat owner

Looks like it has the receiver for a transom saver, its a forked aluminum stick that takes the weight of the motor off the transom, you hsoul dget another one of those if you can't find the one that is on it.

Yes the tilt trim will hold the motor up but it is hard on the transom, see above for fix.

And yes, that is where the 2 stroke oil goes, anything will work as long as it is TCW3.

I would sit in the driveway and get familiar with the boat and controls before you take it the go slow on the water till you figure out how to do what you need to do.

Took the guys boat in the divorce, that is just cold man.

Nippissinger

Petty Officer 3rd Class

Killer boat for your first..Too bad hubby had to give it away...
I travel with my 55 hp down as I have enough clearance. Although I may run into some rough terrain where I might have to lift it, unless you get a decent transom saver, you don't want to rely on the tilt arm and transom to support that heavy motor while bouncing down the road.

5150 has solid advice. Spend hours dry in driveway becoming familiar with her. There will be many switches, gauges and compartments you will want to be familiar with before hitting the water..

Good Luck and Enjoy!!!

Will

5150abf

Vice Admiral

Make your pictures smaller, big pics use alot bandwidth which cost money.

skargo

Banned

Linked pictures don't cost our host money. :confused:

gilligan60

Cadet

Better?

One more question...........I found a new MINN KOTA POWERDRIVE V2 40PD V2 12V 40LB 48in trolling motor for sale. Will this unit be big enough for this boat?

5150abf

Vice Admiral

Ya, a 40 should work on that, not super big but sufficient, if you cna ge t agood deal on it i woudl jump on it, trollers are salty.

gilligan60

Cadet

Thanks much. I found a brand new one for $375, which included a quick mount bracket and a battery. From searching on the net, that sounds like a pretty good deal. I just need the guy to call me back and say it's still available. ;) Thanks to everyone for all the help.

5150abf

Vice Admiral

Ya, I would say that is a deal, new with a battery.

The only way that deal could get better is if the guy came over and put it on the boat for you.