First time boat owner (if the title checks out) - 16' 1968 Silverline Deville

bubbafat

Recruit
Just wanted to drop in and say hello. As the title says, I was able to find a 16' 1968 Silverline Deville with a trailer and working motor for the low-low price of one beer.

The catch? While the "transom tap" test was good, and the interior looks alright, the floor is rotted out and will need to come up. But she floats and was on the water just a few weeks ago.

Before towing it home (it's from a local friend so we agreed to move it while the sun was up and do the title work on Monday) I said "I notice it's still registered out of state. You have a clean title, right?"

"Oh yeah absolutely. Just didn't register it. We decided to do a different project."

24 hours later it's more like "Well ... I think I have the paperwork somewhere. I'll see what I can find."

So in a holding pattern until that's resolved. Not ripping up a boat that I don't own.

But I'm an optimist. We'll get it figured out.

My wife and I had been thinking about a boat for a while. We grew up in Minnesota and both lived on lakes. Boating was part of our childhood and something we dearly miss since moving to North Carolina and not having access to it any longer. Now that the kids are grown (more or less) and moving out (more or less), we felt like it was a good time on a project together and get back on the water.

Speaking of Minnesota - my father is from Moorhead, home of Silverline, and we lived there for several years. When I mentioned the opportunity to get the boat to my father he said "You know, your grandfather had something to do with them. I'm not sure if he sold them supplies or helped with machinery, but I remember him being over there a lot."

A free hometown boat with a family connection?

How could I say no?

Worst case, I pull it back to my friend's house and start over with something else.

Anyway - once the title is figured out, I'll be around more learning how to replace the floor and make her run as good as she looks (I'm a sucker for the 60's look - especially the curved windshield).

129916163_437985857564374_5594495062994253188_n.jpg

130189474_844616986337611_6073044066896920220_n.jpg

southkogs

Staff member
Core test that transom to make sure. Good chance it's bad and you need to do a full gut and restore. But those are nice boats, and very pretty on the water.

Welcome aboard!

bubbafat

Recruit
Core test that transom to make sure. Good chance it's bad and you need to do a full gut and restore. But those are nice boats, and very pretty on the water.

Welcome aboard!
Thanks!

I’ll be checking the transom when I begin the teardown. I’m pretty sure I understand the stringer and floor replacement but have a lot to learn about the transom.

It’s just some laminated marine plywood, right? No big deal? (I’m kidding!)

Step one is building an engine stand and removing it. Then building blocks or a dolly system to get it off the trailer when working.

Should give me plenty of time to research.

Looking forward to digging in!