Fire destroys yacht

Snailman

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Hi,<br /><br />Here're some pictures that were in the local paper...<br /><br />A 1991 43' Bayliner burned in the Rappahanock River last week. Thankfully she had diesel power plants so there was no real explosion but she burned to the water-line and sank in 50' of water. <br /><br />All aboard were plucked to safety by a passing boater before the craft went down. <br /><br />Every boater's worst nightmare!<br /><br />
fire01.jpg
fire02.jpg

n0ukf

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Re: Fire destroys yacht

My brother's neighbor just lost his boat to fire this week. I haven't heard much for details, but the twin Merc I/Os may become available when insurance is done with the claim. My brother might be able to upgrade his 120hp Merc 1 with one of these 120hp Merc 2s as he rebuilds his transom with Seacast.

akriverrat

Chief Petty Officer

a friend was helping a friend of his with running new used boat with twin jimmy diesels from seattle to valdez,alaska. all went well till half way between yakutat and valdez the crankcase breather hose came loose and ended up against exhaust. previous owner had replaced this hose with clear plastic hose. yes, it caught fire. started burning other things befor fire was noticed. fire extinguishers got it out luckily because niether vhf or cell could reach anyone from the middle of gulf of alaska. took them 14 hours to return to yakutat on one engine to do repairs. also very lucky in that the gulf was having one of its very rare flat calm days. right hose would have prevented the fire. a hose clamp would have too. the little things can kill you.

magster65

Commander

My grandfather had a '59 Chriscraft. A beautiful boat in mint shape! His eldest son (my uncle) borrowed it for the weekend. Apparently a small crack in an upper seam in the fuel tank leaked out some fuel and guess what? Yep. BOOM! Unc. was ok after some burn treatment but the Chris burned to the waterline. Be careful people!!!!

Mike NZ

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Caption; Quick let off a flare.