Ficht

I have a 1999 Evinrude 150 it has a bad EMM, the part # on it is 586463. I have tried finding one with no luck. I went today and bought a non running (internal damage) 2000 model 175, with EMM part# 586496, I was going to change all the sensors and wiring from the 175 to my 150, but after I checked the injector wiring and the EMM wiring on both motors they are the same. Can I just switch EMM and be alright.
Sorry for the long post, and thanks in advance for the help.

emdsapmgr

Supreme Mariner
Another alternative: There is one company in the US that repairs the older Ficht EMM computers. They are in Florida. We've used them on a number of computer repairs. They fix your existing computer, the don't sell new. We've had good luck with them and they warranty their repairs: www.dfitechnologies.com/

Faztbullet

Supreme Mariner
You will need to swap heads also as injectors are different....the 99 uses screw in and 00 use bolt on, also if I remember correctly the CPS is different.

I have sent my EMM off to be checked, and it is non repairable.
I was hoping the injectors were the same. Guess I will have to do some mechanical work also. Thanks for the advice.

Turns out I got lucky, checked the injectors, they were the same part number. The new EMM is the one with the vacum port coming out of it, gto lucky on that also, pulled the lower covers off of mine and it had a plug where the vacuum port needed to screw in. Switched EMM plugged all the wires up, hooked the water hose up,and she fired right up and ran perfect. Used temp gun to keep an eye on all the cylinders , no problems.

Faztbullet

Supreme Mariner
Lets us know about top end as my need to remap it due to port differences....

I took it out for a test run. It actually done great, mine has had a slight miss since I have owned the boat it is gone now. Throttle response is better, comes out of the hole alot faster. After cruising around for a while at part throttle and making some WOT hits. I decided to go for broke. Made about a 5 mile run up river at wide open throttle. I am happy to say no problems, even picked up about 3mph according to the GPS. The only thing that is not working is my tach, but was acting up before, so I am not sure whether it just decided to die or if it is related to the computer swap.

dazk14

Ensign
Did you have someone swap the injector coefficients from the old EMM to the new one(it's easy)? Or use the 175 injectors in the correct order.

This is very important since each injector has it's own unique fuel characteristics and the computer makes the correct adjustments throughout the rpm range.

Without doing this you will have rich and lean spots that will ordinarily fry the motor in short order.

FYI- the EMM programming is the only difference on the 150/175, so you did well to find a 175 as they are in demand by 150 owners.

DFI is no longer the best place to go- although they are the most expensive.

The best place(incl price) is www.marinecomputersupply.com. ph 844-627-2255, ask for Eric. He will answer/return calls promptly. Tell him Mike@AceMarine in CT sent you.

He will advise you exactly how to handle your specific situation. Generally, just ship both EMM's, he'll swap the coefficients overnight, back to you the next day and the cost will be very low - you'll like him. Mention your tach issue.

Please respond back with your results, so others have a template for future repairs.

I did swap two of the injectors from the 175, simply because they were a differentry part # then what was on my engine. Eric is the one that diagnosed my computer as being bad. He customer support is the best around. I would highly recommend him to anyone .