Fiberglassing over marine grade plywood help

MattMudrakFL

Recruit
I have an older but well kept Javelin bass boat, the old fiberglass deck was a little soggy so the owners before us put plywood on top and then carpet. We were wanting to make it into qn Inshore flats boat essentially. Can we rip up the carpet and fiberglass right over that to make it a fiberglass deck?

giericd

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Re: Fiberglassing over marine grade plywood help

That wont solve your original problem of the sogy floor. The floor isn't just fiberglass, even though fiberglass is strong it would have to be about 4" thick for a 4' wide deck not to flex. the floor/deck on your boat is most likely a wood floor that has been fiberglassed over. it's a common boat building practice, but when moisture finds it's way through the fiberglass and it will, it rots the wood, as it breaks down and loses strength you start to feel the spongey effects of this. under the original floor there are supports for the floor. The floor sits on stringers, bulk heads, braces..... with out that support even 1" thick marine ply wood only 4' wide will flex, not good. and the way you described you will be adding a lot of extra weight to the boat not to mention when the original rotting wood in the floor starts to crumble it is going to work its way back to your bilge pump and clog it, hope you have a life vest, i discovered this when i was 9 miles out in the gulf and the bilge wouldn't work, i pulled hand fulls of mushy rotted wood out of the bulge, i just went through this on my boat! cut out the old floor, inspect the stringers/ all wood under the deck. cut out and replace all damaged wood and do several layers of fiberglass over it. on mine after i replaced and glassed i sprayed gelcoat on all the glass under the deck, water will slowly penitrate bare glass but gelcoat does a good job of keeping it out of that new wood. glass both sides and edges of the new wood floor and mount it in place, mark where the bulkheads/stringers are and screw the new deck down. glass around the edges of the floor bonding it to the sides of the boat do a do a bunch of sanding, gelcoat, and do a lot more sanding- have fun

GT1000000

Rear Admiral

Hi MattMudrakFL,
Welcome to the iboats restoration forum. You sound exactly like most of us did when we first found this site seeking advice.
It is the preeminent place on the web for anything related to boating. The folks here know their stuff and will help you with any questions you will be asking.
To repeat what giericd said, you should not put a "Band-Aid" over your problem. It may cost you dearly. To properly diagnose and repair your damage will require that you conduct a thorough and complete investigation of your hull. This may not be what you want to hear, but it is the right way to do things. If you value your safety and the safety of anyone who may ride on your boat, it is imperative that you follow the advice of the more knowledgable guys here.

I would recommend some reading of several threads throughout this forum to get familiar with what you are about to undertake...here's a couple of links to get you started...
1- http://forums.iboats.com/forumdisplay.php?f=405
2- http://forums.iboats.com/showthread.php?t=288451

There are many other's, as each person's rebuild has great information and tips and ideas, but that should get you prepped.

Another thing these guys like, me included, are pictures, lots of pictures...they help us to see your problem and give the best possible advice on how to remedy it.

Best Regards and Merry Christmas,
GT1M

oops!

Supreme Mariner

hi.....welcome to iboats !

the above is all good information.

one thing.......if you do glass over it and just leave the rotten deck below......you will condemn the rest of the boat in 2 seasons.