Fiberglass around motor mount bolts = stripped

mark1905

Chief Petty Officer
While poking around in the engine compartment this morning, I realized that one of the two lower front engine mount bolts that goes directly into the fiberglass had backed out and the mount had slipped a little. I gave it a whack with a hammer to straighten it and tried to put the bolt back in.. at which time I realized that it wasn't really grabbing anything. I checked the other side/bolt, and same thing.. stripped/worn out and not grabbing anything.

Next step I suppose is a set of thicker bolts..?

If/when that doesn't work, what are some fixes for this in order of degree of difficulty? I don't have the means to pull the engine out and be completely re-doing fiberglass unless it's absolutely necessary. Any help is appreciated..

coolbri70

Lieutenant Commander
Re: Fiberglass around motor mount bolts = stripped

i do not think bolts would be threaded into fiberglass alone, there would be a nut or plate of metal with a threaded hole for a bolt to go into? maybe toggle bolts or helicoil repair, pics may help.

tpenfield

Staff member

In all likelihood there is (was) wood beneath the fiberglass that the engine mount bolts screwed into . . .

This sort of thing has happened to quite a few people on this forum and a repair of the stringer was usually the result.

So, you should examine the holes that the bolts came out of to see if there is wet/rotted wood in there and proceed accordingly.

mark1905

Chief Petty Officer

Drat. You know what? You're right.. it's a rotted stringer.

This would be the sound of my head hitting the keyboard.. >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

FRDSHASDGCASKJHASCN

tpenfield

Staff member

Welcome to the 'rotted stringer club' . . . membership seems to grow on a daily basis.

It would probably be best to figure out the extent of the damage and then plan from there.

Scott Danforth

Grumpy Vintage Moderator still playing with boats
Staff member

ooooohhhh another boat restoration thread coming......

dont buy your materials until you have done all your rot removal. then order at least 2-3 times what you plan on (because buying resin locally may be really expensive)

the good thing is that US composites and many others are in Florida so you wont have to wait as long as the rest of the world.